PDA

View Full Version : Help with faded Porsche Guards Red

SamIam
10-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Towards the end of June I detailed a Porsche 968 with a faded Guards Red single stage original paint. I used 3M FCRC and 3M SMR with PC and then hand applied S100 SEC. Topped with a couple of layers of Poorboys EX and then a layer of S100. Car looked great and owner was happy. I just had lunch with him today and again, the paint looks faded in areas. Also, the door looks more faded than the rest of the car. I have 2 questions:

1) What would your suggestions be to try to again combat the potential pigment failure? I am leaning toward Einszett polish and Glanz wax. as I`ve had pretty good luck with them. I am open to any suggestions, however, as I really don`t want to see the owner need to repaint.

2) Any suggestions why the door has faded differently? I know the owner is the original owner, bought it off the showroom floor when it was new. Also, know it has never been painted under his watch. Any suggestions?

AWMark
10-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Sam I Am,

Just talked with my brother who happens to be a car salesman. He mentioned that if a car is slightly damaged on the lot or during a demo the boys in back will fix-er-up and back to the lot she goes as a "NEW CAR". Since it does not represent a life threatening situation no one will be obligated to mention the previous damage. Hope this offers some insight.

Mark G.

SamIam
10-06-2003, 03:28 PM
Mark,

That was what I was thinking.

Thanks for info. I appreciate the help.

Sam

pcar 930
10-07-2003, 05:27 PM
I too have a guards red porsche, single stage paint. I am still practicing on other vehicles before I attack my baby. I was planning on 1Z products with AIO and P21S. What is FCRC? Please give us follow up with pics if possible. Thanks

SamIam
10-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Poorboys EX and S100 on the Porsche. I now have 1Z products and really am looking forward to using them on the next go round. After 3 months, the surface is rough and fading again. Could be the paint is too far gone, although, I believe that 1Z product, from what I`ve read and seen from my own experience, will last longer.

On the other hand, I just cleaned up the Porsche owner`s wife`s Lexus coupe today. I did it about a week later, so it`s been about the same time frame, but I used Klasse AIO and 1 coat of SG on her car, topped by S100. It looked great when I did it, and today, it was still great. Although she had picked up some contaminents, I QD`d it, and it was as good as new. Before the QD, it was shiny as heck still. Although I have suffered from the infamous Klasse hazing, I will tell you, the stuff lasts pretty darn long. DavidB says that 1Z Glanz wax lasts about the same.

The 1Z polishes are great, especially by hand or PC. I would suggest however that you use the Glanz wax over their polish. It looks fabulous and once I get my hands back on the Porsche, I will be happy to post follow up pics.

andriver
10-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Please post your results on 1Z. I was thinking of ordering the polishes and wax.

SamIam
10-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Here are some pics where I used Platinum over the 1Z Metallic Polish/Wax. I have some pics of a black Celica I did and topped with Glanz Wax somewhere. I will get some pics of the porsche wheni can get ahold of it.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27850&highlight=SamIam