PDA

View Full Version : New car delivery with plastic left on - any pitfalls?

Pages : [1] 2

2wheelsx2
10-06-2003, 01:43 PM
I am posting this here even though I have been here a while, because I`ve never had a new car delivery from shipment.

Anyway, the deal is that we are finally getting a WRX in the family (yay!) and my wife wanted white, which has to be from a new shipment. I requested the Autopian tradition of leaving the plastic on, etc. (yuck, you should have seen the scratches and swirls on their "new" showroom cars!)

Anyway, is there anything I should worry about after peeling the plastic? Is there going to be goo everywhere?

My plan is:

1) Wash

2) Clay

3) AIO

4) SG x ? until I can SG no more! :p

I am going to wipe down everything inside, and 303 all vinyl services also. Getting some all weather mats for winter, leaving the WRX mats for summer only.

wgb113
10-06-2003, 04:26 PM
I got my `04 2.5RS special ordered as well. It`s silver and they took the plastic off but when I got it home and gave it a good washing, I noticed a very thin line of goo where the edges of the plastic was. A bit of elbow grease in a diagonal direction got it off quite easily.

Be sure to put more layer of SG on the front of the car as our Subys are known to have soft paint that`s prone to chipping.

Congrats on your car and good luck!

Bill

2wheelsx2
10-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I know all about the soft paint problems. It`s been discussed here a lot. I also registered over at NASIOC under the same name.

So you didn`t have any other paint problems to deal with? If that`s the case, I am in great shape. I plan on at least 4 coats of SG followed by several layers of UPP.

imported_jgv
10-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey Gary, congrats on the new car! Nothing like a new car to start taking care of correctly, it`ll always be new and easy to clean.

Be sure to use AIO 2 or 3 times to clean any grease/wax from new car protection. Only then I`d clay it.

2wheelsx2
10-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Thanks.

Oh, so you think I should AIO first? I normally do it the other way around, but I guess it doesn`t really matter much when the car is new, since there are not going to be any large fallout particles or tree sap...yet. :p

imported_Luster
10-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Congrats on the new ride...!!!:xyxthumbs

I had the dealer leave on ALL plastic protection on my 2001 Grand Prix.

I also insisted that, if he wanted to put on the dealer badge, I`d buy the car elsewhere.

The plastic came off really clean with virtually no residue. At the time, I new nothing of claybar, but that`s definitely the best first step after washing.

I actually clay during the washing process now. After I wash an area with a lambswool mit, I "suds-up" the area and clay, then re-wash. It`s the ultimate lube.

I`ve tried the "hose-only" method, but super-sudsing provides better lubrication for the clay.

You`re on the right track.

2wheelsx2
10-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I clay with car soap as lube too. Makes it cheap, and keeps it from drying, and then I can rewash quickly too.

Dang, I forgot about the dealer badge thing. :(

imported_Luster
10-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Dang, I forgot about the dealer badge thing. :(

Don`t worry.....it will come off very easily, since it will have only been on for a few hours!:up

2wheelsx2
10-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Bill....now it`s hurry up and wait, until the car arrives at the dealership!:p

GoodnClean
10-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Odds are they wont put the dealer tag on there because they do that at prep, if it doesn`t go to prep then...

I detailed my mother`s New Beetle for her a while back, and it still had residue from the plastic sheeting, after 4 years lol. That was fun to remove :rolleyes:

Mtnsummit
10-06-2003, 06:59 PM
I too recently took delivery of a new 2003 Honda Pilot, Silver, and I believe I have some residue left on a small area (fist size) of the car, kind of sticky. I do not know what to use to try a and remove this residue. Don`t want to hurt the new paint :) Any suggestions welcomed.

Have the Klasse Twins to put on, and do have the P21S Total Auto Wash. Also have a clay bar I could try.

Deanski
10-06-2003, 08:54 PM
For cleaning up all the plastic goo or the Tyvek used to protect the finish, I use Megs APC+ mixed up with some water as it has to be dilluted.

For wax removal and goo, 64:1, 30:1 for really nasty goo.

The megs APC+ is in the detailer line of products. You can also get any of the Auto Magic or Pro Products that do just about the same as APC+.

Regards,

Deanski

Mtnsummit
10-06-2003, 09:06 PM
What is Megs APC+ - I assume that is an abreviation for one of their products, but I am new to this game, so not sure.

Thanks,

John

Jesstzn
10-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Thanks, Bill....now it`s hurry up and wait, until the car arrives at the dealership!:p

If its not at the dealer yet .. call them .. NO STICKER ... they will oblidge

huggybear
10-06-2003, 10:35 PM
APC+ = All Purpose Cleaner plus nice and gentle but gets the job done, good stuff.