PDA

View Full Version : Update and pics from the worst paint ever detail!!

Pages : [1] 2

blackntan
10-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Ok. So here`s the details. The paint looked horrible when I got to it. It honestly had the reflective qualities and texture of concrete. It was raining, so we didn`t get a great before shot, and we ran out of time before getting to the wheel wells and tires.

The first pic shows the swirls that we started with.

blackntan
10-06-2003, 10:14 AM
The entire hood was clayed, washed, and ready to go. He had previously applied a coat of turtle wax to the car as well. I used the yellow pad and PI-II on one side of the hood, and you can see the world of difference between the side that was buffed, and the side that wasn`t. This is my fav. pic of the bunch.

blackntan
10-06-2003, 10:24 AM
This is a reflection shot on the hood after it was done. Poor picture quality I know, but it was dark and rainy and such... But it was taken in the exact same place as the last one, but I had to move the flash because it was reflecting back and the pic was useless..

blackntan
10-06-2003, 10:31 AM
here`s the car afterwards, sitting outside during a light drizzle.. The wheel wells aren`t done, and you can see the chips on the nose that I was talking about. We`ll address those next weekend when I get the Langka.

Preachers Sheets
10-06-2003, 12:14 PM
UGH, those are the cars I don`t want to detail. I can tell you put alot of work into that paint; more than a night and day difference.

Good work, I`ll be sure to let everyone know you enjoy the cars from hell. I`ll keep detailing the brand new Benz`s and Vettes! haha

Scottwax
10-06-2003, 12:14 PM
:up Massive improvement!

Scottwax
10-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by joed1228

Good work, I`ll be sure to let everyone know you enjoy the cars from hell. I`ll keep detailing the brand new Benz`s and Vettes! haha

Uh...check out the S600 I had to detail in the click and brag forum. :lol

LDPaul
10-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Big difference and good job!

C-MDX
10-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Nice. Is the front wheel cover suppose to be a bit brown or is it the cameras problem??

Scottwax
10-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by C-MDX

Nice. Is the front wheel cover suppose to be a bit brown or is it the cameras problem??

It is a mid 90`s Nissan, which means the coating on the wheels is horrible and the slightest bit of neglect and brake dust accumulation means the coating is shot and the brake dust is effectively baked into the wheel. That is the brown stuff you are seeing. The rims need to be stripped and recoated, or in the case of wheel covers, replaced. I see this all the time on early to mid 90`s Nissans and Infinitis (the J30s are the absolute worst with their BBS style wheels).

Slackmeister
10-07-2003, 09:54 PM
FWIW, those appear to be cheapie aftermarket wheel covers--not that the stock ones would have held up any better.

BTW, nice job on that paint. Must have been really fulfilling to bring it back. :up

blackntan
10-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Wow! Thanks for all of the compliments guys!! I really love doing these cars, because the expression on the owners faces is like nothing you`ve ever seen. Sure, the guy with the new corvette is happy with his nice shiney paint, but when you take something that looks like it belongs in scrap heap, and make it glow and shine like a new car, the owner is amazed and delighted at what you`ve done. This guy happens to be a car enthusiest, but has been down on his luck financially. He finally got a car after 6 months of saving up, and this is the best he could afford. I offered to detail him after seeing how dejected he was at the look of his new baby, and the happiness and pride that he got out of her when the job was done makes all of my knowledge and product testing worth it.

Those wheel covers and tires are toast, but his next mod is a set of 17"s and new tires, so he`s not too worried about them. They actually feel baked and brittle, so we didnt` take them off in fear that they`d crack and he`d have to ride on the bare steelies... They were completely brown before, and he was scrubbing for what seemed like hours to get them that nice, so it`s more than accecptable for now.

Thanks again for all of the advice, compliments, and knowledge! I`ll be sure to do this again for my next `back from the dead` detail!!!

Jared

Preachers Sheets
10-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Scott - What was on that Benz, looks like it came off easy but that towel is toast... jeepers.

SuperBuick
10-08-2003, 02:41 PM
That towel looks like Joe`s towel looks like after he drys himself off when getting out of the shower. ;)

-Tom

Preachers Sheets
10-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Ouch, took that one and fell to the floor.