PDA

View Full Version : Rust on chrome wire wheel removal

Gonzo
10-06-2003, 07:54 AM
Now that I have it, what is the best way to get rid of it? I suspect the chrome is just thick enough to make the wheels shiney.... They are replicas of Kelsey Hayes wires on a 62 TBird Sports Roadster. I realize the wires flex a little and the rubbing could have been the "opportunity" for the rust to get started. Once the rust is removed, I was thinking of Klasse to protect them, but if there is something better, please suggest that also.

Thanks in advance

forrest@mothers
10-06-2003, 08:36 AM
To remove rust, use a nasty acid based wheel cleaner - one that contains phosphoric and hydrofluoric acids. But, the rust will return since the chrome plating is gone and the bare steel is exposed.

You can try using a clear product (fingernail polish, clear coat paint, etc.) to touch it up and protect against the elements, but eventually the rust will return.

Time to replate to fix it right.

Gonzo
10-06-2003, 08:38 AM
I can try a few things before I have to cough up $1200.............

chris0626
10-06-2003, 09:50 PM
I faced the exact same situation with a set of Dayton wire wheels, Gonzo. But don`t assume it`ll be $1200. Don`t just rely on wheel manufacturers for quotes. Since you`re in a city, there may be much-more-reasonable chrome replaters right there in Houston. Check the yellow pages. And check with your local Tbird car club.

Oooooooo...yeah! `62 Tbird. I`m committing vehicular envy. :D

Gonzo
10-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Lynn. Envious enough to purchase? - its for sale. One of only 1427 made.

chris0626
10-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Ouch! Don`t tempt me, Gonzo. I`m already awash in `70s cars. ;)

imported_Dave Holmes
10-09-2003, 01:51 AM
But Lynn, it`s a `62, not a `70s.

Gonzo, have you ever heard of Zoopseal? I saw an ad for it, and it supposedly will seal polished metal for 2 years. You can do a search for their website (it`s based on their product name. I don`t know if I can post links on here). I`ve never personally used it, so can`t vouch for its effectiveness. But I`d probably give it a shot.

I think replating would be the best bet. Search around online for reputable places, and your yellow pages for local ones. You may have to send the rim off to get it done, but it may be very cost effective.

Is that $1200 to replace it? Ouch! Replating shouldn`t be more than a couple hundred, if even that.

Dave

Gonzo
10-09-2003, 06:41 AM
Lynn. IT A DOCUMENTED S.R. Early build too, `cause I believe the ticket from under the driver`s seat says April `61. 2 pickup beds worth of spare parts including some glass, chrome trim, springs, brake drums, radios, badging, original KH wires, air cleaners, steering wheel, ...., ad nauseum. NOT a show car, but a driver. Brand new ragtop (well about 18 month old). C`mon, you can do it

Gonzo
10-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Here is the T`Bird