PDA

View Full Version : Best thing to do to prep paint for salt and snow?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_kgb
10-06-2003, 07:03 AM
As much as I hate to think of it, Winter is coming. :down

What would be the best thing to put on customers cars for winter? I am looking, I guess, for something that will last a long time. I will be more concered with paint protection than I will with shine.

Thanks Autopians!

jeremyp111
10-06-2003, 07:08 AM
If protection is your goal then you should be looking for a sealant such as Klasse AIO/SG, Megs #20, Zaino etc. Take into account ease of use and cost if it`s to be used on your customer`s cars. I like AIO/SG for my cars.

Jeremy

chris0626
10-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Yep, like jeremyp111 said, if winter protection is your concern, just two words come to mind: polymer sealant. I had 3 layers of Zaino on my car last fall, and they made washing a dream all thru to springtime ... and this is a non-garaged, driven-every-day car. Zaino truly does defy belief. (And, yeah, I expect Klasse does the same thing; but I`ve only had experience with Zaino so far.)

Patrick
10-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Dont forget Blackfire...

Also, frequent quick detailing products are a must.......

Spilchy
10-08-2003, 03:37 PM
You want ease of use and don`t want to spend a lot for supplies on the cars you detail? Go with Collinite wax.

I`ve said it once, I`ve said it twice on this board - COLLINITE! :D

imported_chewy
10-09-2003, 06:14 AM
I put a coat of Meg`s #20, topped with a coat of Collinite #476 on my wife`s Passat last winter and it made it through four harsh months and came out pretty nice--first hand wash found that water still beaded very nicely. Going to do this again.

shaf
10-14-2003, 09:01 PM
If this is for "customers" and not for your personal use, you have three main requirements:

1) Fast and easy to use

2) Not very expensive

3) Durable

Something like Meguiar`s #20 comes to mind, although I`ve never used that myself. Forget about Klasse or Blackfire since they`re not really suited for detailing as a business. #20 isn`t quite as bulletproof as Klasse/Zaino from what I understand, but it is reputedly painless to use, durable, locally available, and can be used a a "one step" product if you have to make do without a separate polishing step.

You may also want to peek in the Pro Forum and see what other pro detailers are using for such a job, and maybe re-post this thread in there too if you can`t dig up anything.

Jngrbrdman
10-14-2003, 09:23 PM
I litterally live in the city of salt and for winter prep I go heavy on the Klasse. 6 coats of SG minimum. Usually more like 8. Then I just throw on a layer of P21S as the weather permits so that the salt and crud just rinses off quickly. The good days are far and few between out here in the winter so I gotta be able to wash fast when I get the opportunity. The P21S keeps the surface from holding the dirt to the car. I did a test last year against P21S and Souveran and it was clear that P21S helps keep the car cleaner in the winter. Anyway, that is my winter regiment. Time to start preparing for winter this weekend in fact. The last job of the year is on Friday and now its time to devote some time in preparing my own cars for winter.

hondaguy2582
10-14-2003, 09:43 PM
#20, or aio topped with collinite wax.

Accumulator
10-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Best combo *I`VE* found so far is a combo of the previous suggestions. Multiple layers of SG topped with Collinite 476S gets me through winter (and then some) just fine. And no, *I* don`t find either the Klasse or the Collinite hard to use, quite easy, in fact.

Gonzo
10-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Spilchy & Chewy - the Collinite site says 476 is detergent proof. I guess that means you must "grind" it off with a polish, right?

I`m looking for something durable for the wet weather here in Houston over the next few months. Can I get away with Collinite over this (applied since May 2003)

AIO x 2

SG x 2

Souveran x 10

In your experience, does it have the "dirt shedding" that Jngrbrdman found with P21S? Yes, I have found the Souveran is a dust magnet - so to speak

Scott P
10-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Since I have both Zaino and Klasse (along with a ton of other stuff) I am going to use them both. The wife`s Saturn will get AIOx2 and SGx5+. My car will get Zaino for its winter coat. I have a garage that will hopefully be heated (just not insulated and no drain), so QEW washes will occur. That should get me through this winter. The almanac is calling for an evil winter, so I might need all the help I can get.

dr427
10-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Gonzo

Spilchy & Chewy - the Collinite site says 476 is detergent proof. I guess that means you must "grind" it off with a polish, right?

I think Collinite`s intent with that statement was that soap wouldn`t break it down. Like all other waxes it wears away. It IS durable, and like Spilchy & Chewy I too am a Collinite Fan all the way.:xyxthumbs

As for Houston, I think Collinite would be a great choice for any location!

Accumulator
10-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Gonzo

...I`m looking for something durable for the wet weather here in Houston over the next few months. Can I get away with Collinite over this (applied since May 2003)

AIO x 2

SG x 2

Souveran x 10

In your experience, does it have the "dirt shedding" that Jngrbrdman found with P21S? Yes, I have found the Souveran is a dust magnet - so to speak

Collinite would be fine over what you have now. I found that it DOES shed dirt well. I left the Collinited Volvo outside all last winter and when the snow melted/slid off it it always looked great. I seldom even bothered washing it :o

imported_Tony
10-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Final polish:http://carpolishes.safeshopper.com/11/15.htm?810

I think Scottwax and Nydetailer use this stuff. Oh yes this is not a polish. Thats just the name. I believe it is a sealant.