PDA

View Full Version : What to use to soften leather???

Pages : [1] 2 3

Beach15
10-05-2003, 02:10 PM
Okay, I just got a call on Friday night from a lady who had been very highly recommended to me by someone who has had me do her Toyota twice and her husband`s black Ram once. Anyway, she has a `99 Buick LeSabre, beige over beige, with 30k miles that they just bought a month ago from someone who kept it in a garage 100% of the time, and rarely drove the car. It is supposed to be in "excellent" (but we all know how that goes!) condition on every inch, but just needs a fresh detail.

Of mention, she just said it didn`t bead up well when washed, so it needs polished and waxed, and the leather felt dry and stiff. She said it probably needed conditioned, but doesn`t have the time or ability to detail a car anymore. As far as leather goes, I only have the new Pinnacle Cleaner & Conditioner, as I too am short on time and wanted something quality to use on the seats of our Buick and Cadillac seats. However, I don`t think it`s all that effective at doing anything other than a light re-freshening.

Anything recommended that I can get to help soften leather, preferably at the store? I realize different cars have different leather (case in point, our Buick Roadmaster has much "drier" and stiffer leather than the soft, supple stuff in our Caddy Fleetwood), but she`s making it a specific point that I help the seats out.

What should I get or do??

Bill D
10-05-2003, 03:12 PM
I`ve been using Lexol on my 89 Deville for 9 years, although my leather has never been dried out as you describe, maybe applying it several times would help? You could get Lexol at a Pep Boys or similar store. ( I would go with the Meguiar`s equivalent if no Lexol is availible) Maybe there are tips on the Lexol website.

http://www.lexol.com

splogue
10-05-2003, 04:29 PM
I agree. Meguiar`s gold class conditioner, or Lexol should work as well as any. I`ve heard some good things about the conditioner made by turtle wax as well, just as a third alternative in case you can`t easily find the other two. Almost any automobile leather conditioner should be able to soften the seats a bit, as long as she isn`t expecting magic.

Sean

CharlesW
10-05-2003, 06:18 PM
You may have a tough time making much improvement. The Buick probably has GM`s clearcoat leather that is not known to be "soft and supple". Since you are exposed to both the Buick and the Cadillac leather, you unfortunately can see the difference.

If you do find something that makes much difference, by all means, please post it.:)

Charles

Ikabob
10-05-2003, 06:48 PM
what about Hide Food???

Deanski
10-05-2003, 07:47 PM
To soften leather, the best way is still Leatherique.

It is a proven way to restore leather that is like cardboard back to the way it should be.

Here is a link on how it works: Leatherique (http://www.germantechnik.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82)

If you have poor quality leather, this is the best way to restore it, then maintenance is much easier.

Regards,

Deanski

topnotchtouch
10-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Deanski,

I have been using Lexol for years and have been very happy with it. I am one to experiment though but, have not found anything else I felt comfortable trying on my leather. Can you compare Leatherique to Lexol? Have you used Lexol?

Thanks

Bob

Deanski
10-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Yes I`ve used and still have Lexol, but it`s too damn glossy!

The cleaner is fair at getting all the dirt out. Trust me, I have a white Ecru interior, so I know when it`s clean. Just never could get it as clean as it should be. I switched to both Zaino and 1Z for monthly work and Leatherique for all the tuff stuff and any time I need to strip the leather of all the previous treatments.

Lexol does work for some, and provided that gloss that some like. I do not care for the look it gives off.

I however, have been using the 1Z product and Zaino as well as Leatherique. The Leatherique is used for really deteriorated leather. The Zaino is the monthly treatment or the 1Z product.

Zaino smells like leather for one thing. The 1Z has a slight leather odor.

There have been many posts on Lexol and Leatherique and all have their uses and dedicated users.

Regards,

Deanski

oldblu
10-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Lexol makes a leather softner called Neetsfoot,I picked it up at autogeek.net in one of there kits, works great.

Deanski
10-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Careful with that stuff.. It can just sit ontop of leather for a very long time before it tries to migrate in. Remember, a lot of todays vehicle leathers are coated, so some treatments do not work their way into the leather. Some oils will do harm than do good.

The only one that does seem to migrate beyond treated leather is Leatherique. Look at the instructions and warnings as to oils.

Here are some simple instructions: Leatherique Instructions (http://www.leatherique.com/serv02.htm)

Wonderful stuff for bad leather or maintaining the leather.

Between this product along with 1Z Lederpflege and Zaino`s Z9/Z10 you have combined the best way to treat and maintain leather.

These products are designed for auto leather interiors and have a proven track record of success.

Leave the Lexol for the house stuff, you`re better off using a product more geared toward automotive leather cleaning/maintaining.

Regards,

Deanski

Bill D
10-06-2003, 10:47 AM
To eliminate the gloss Lexol leaves behind, you can buff it with a terry pad or towel when it dries. Works for me. However, I`m sure I`ll be trying Leatherique some time

imported_indy
10-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Pecards makes some of the best leather care products

at any price. Check out their site: http://www.pecard.com/

For softening leather I`d recommend their Jell dressing.

It`s made to absorb easily even on the toughest leathers.

I use it to make my goatskin jacket soft and flexible.

The only downside is you can`t get it in stores that I`ve

seen, you`ll have to order it.

Bill D
10-06-2003, 02:41 PM
indy,

Thanks for that link, Pecard looks very interesting at very good prices. Sure its ok for automotive leather? There`s no mention of it on the site.

Lowejackson
10-06-2003, 03:32 PM
As an alternative, try some Autoglym Leather, recommended by Rolls Royce, Aston Martin and Porsche.

imported_indy
10-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks for that link, Pecard looks very interesting at very good prices. Sure its ok for automotive leather? There`s no mention of it on the site. [/B]

Stay away from the oils which are for shoes/boots only and you`ll

be fine.

Pecards is used on jackets, bags, horse whips, saddles, anything

leather. If you`re still a little nervous try it in an inconspicuous

place first, but I`ve used it on all kinds of leather with very good

results (jackets, belts, shoes, bags).

I don`t have leather in my cars so I can`t say I`ve used

it there. I use their Jell dressing almost exclusively since it

absorbs quickly (overnight and it`s absorbed completely).