PDA

View Full Version : What is the advantage of clearcoat?

Acehole
10-04-2003, 07:39 PM
It seems that almost all newer cars have a clearcoat finish. Is there any advantage to the owner or is it just a way to save money by the makers by using a lot less pigment, which is extremely expensive. It seems to me it might be better to have a thicker color coat than a clearcoat which highlights every swirl and imperfection. :nixweiss

Patrick
10-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Color coat or clear coat, neither is impermeable to scratching...Clearcoats have UV blockers, Ive never had a car without one, ooops, I take that back, a black 83 Iroc.....Clearcoated cars, IMO, are MUCH easier to care for.....I consider it the "skin" on a car......

SP 325i
10-06-2003, 08:41 AM
Clearcoat was originally used only on metallic or mica colourcoats. This was for 3 main reasons :

metallic / mica paints are usually matter so the clearcoat is required to give the high gloss finish required.

the metallic / mica particles stick out of the colourcoat so the paint would feel rough

the weatherability of unclearcoated metallic / mica paints is not very good. The clearcoat protects the particles.

Clearcoat also plays a roll in stoonechip protection.

When I was involved in OEM paints though very few solid colours had a clearcoat applied. I would be surprised if many companies are clearcoating solid colours now.

Steve