PDA

View Full Version : any ideas for a tool that has bristles on its tip instead of on the side like a...

chip douglas
10-04-2003, 05:48 PM
good news ! metal polish from mother`s as it s the one i have on hand works very well at removing rust, i find the time it takes is resonable, yet i`d now need suggestion of a tool i either have to use or make......let me describe waht i want : i was using a small brass brush, but as you know the bristles are on the side of it, yet the areas im working in is sooooooo recessed(under console) that i`d need the bristles to be on the tip of the brush to allow for better movement. I`m asking for suggestions for any tool that would have bristles on the tip as opposed to on the side like a standard brush..........let me know if any ideas

thanks

it s either i remove it or im admitted to a mental institution

:lol :scared

Jngrbrdman
10-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Just out of curiosity.... If it is so hard to get to that you need to fashion some kind of weird brush to get to it, then is it really visable enough to worry about?

As far as the brush thing goes... I guess you could take one of the detailing brass brushes and bend the bristles so they work. I don`t know that they make a brush with bristles stiff enough to do what you are trying to accomplish. Another option may be to get a rag somehow in there and `floss` it the way you would buff out your shoes. Maybe that would work? I`ve got detailing brushes that I bought at AutoZone or somewhere with little brushes that fold out of the handle that are like what you are talking about, but I don`t know that they would be long enough. I don`t think the brass one had the little fold out brush either.

chip douglas
10-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi Jngrbrdman,............here, let me explain the situation : last summer i cleaned the car`s carpeting VERY thoroughly........thoroughly enough that it caused rust to appear on those metal brackets that hold the brake and clutch pedal in place, from too much humidity for too long a time inside the car......of course i partly agree with your statement that i doesnt show at all unless you bend over very hard and look under the console ;) but *i* know it is there and it bugs me much. so far i ve been able to remove some of it with metal polish which i should say works very well with minimum elbow grease.

As to the tool, i thought i would have to fashion one suited for that particular task, but before i also thought it`d be wise to ask here, after all that`s the goal of this forum...........sometime i help others, other times i get helped, it evens out :xyxthumbs

bottom line is i`ll try and make a tool for just that purpose, i`ll let you know how it turns out.

later

Jngrbrdman
10-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Ahh... well, I think you`ll find it hard to get the leverage to brush it out. Have you considered disasembling it so you can get to it all easier? It may be what you have to do in order to get to it. Kind of a sucky place to have to work with polish and all that. Good luck with it.

chip douglas
10-04-2003, 06:40 PM
nosebleed, ive thought about disasembling it, but it is tricky round lots of wiring and stuff, but yep it s doable i say...........i may have to resort to that eventually............what i`d have to disasemble are the brake and cluth pedals, and just wonder if i could make it worse by doing so.....yet i think from recent observation that id only have toi remove about 4 bolts to get the thing free.........if i could disasembe it, then i could use elctrolysis to get the rust off.

chip douglas
10-04-2003, 06:42 PM
almost forgot : yep i think the rust has a diret link with the carpet cleaning(yet i might be wrong) cause way too much humidity was in the car for too long.

and my plan would be to get the rust off, then grease it to prevent any more from appearing..............and by the way, the brakets were bare metal initially.

lsanford
10-04-2003, 06:50 PM
http://www.contacteast.com/product/images/jpg/ce401407.jpg

Tough all-metal brush. Stainless-steel bristle and heavy-grade tin-plate handle. For cleaning work in soldering operations. Length 3-1/2".

Is that something like what you are looking for?

Its a solder brush.

Several of the google hits will show a conventional side bristle brush, but there are end bristle versions as well.

But I think NozeBleedSpeed has a good point, that it will rust again...

L

chip douglas
10-04-2003, 06:55 PM
lsanford, yep that s just what i was describing above

;) ........and about it rusting again, i think i could avoid that by applyiing a thin coat of penetrating grease.

p.s. right now im doing a google search in order to find how to properly disassemble various parts of my 1999 toyota corrola.........if you happen to know a place let me know, but i`ll sure keep looking all the same.

Best regards bud :)

Bill D
10-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Does a Haynes and Chilton manual help at all? Maybe you could find an official Toyota shop manual online somewhere?

chip douglas
10-04-2003, 07:20 PM
i`ll try that Haynes and Chilton manual.....i didnt know about it.

later ;)

JimS
10-05-2003, 07:59 AM
I`ve used a product called Phix. It removes rust and protects against rust coming back. It works and you just spray it on and wipe it off. I got it at the auto body supply store.

Accumulator
10-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Chip Douglas- Remember the fiberglass eraser pencils we went over on the other thread? Micro Mark offers a similar brush-type device with METAL bristles. Used to clean the tracks/contacts on model railroads. Can`t find my catalog, but I know they have one. BUT, steel bristles, as I recall, I`d prefer brass myself.

EVERYONE should have a Micro Mark catalog, lots of great stuff in there.

JimS- Have to try that PHIX. Sounds like a good product.

chip douglas
10-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Accumulator, and JimS, thanks to both of you for your time to help me out here, i do appreciate you know

:)

imported_Dave Holmes
10-06-2003, 11:54 PM
Chip,

Have you thought about a rust converter such as Naval Jelly? Plasti-Kote makes one called "Rust Not Rust Converter", their part number is No. 623. I`ve used it with very good results. Basically, you just clean up the loose stuff, degrease with a cleaner,and brush it on. It stops rust on contact and converts it to an iron-hard, paintable surface. I think situations like yours are ideal for products like these.

For the brush shown above, try a local welding shop. They have several types of small brushes like that for metal-working. You could possibly use a wire cup brush or wire wheel on a dremel with the 3 ft flexible attachment, too. I`ve found they can get in some really tight spots to do their thing.

Dave

chip douglas
10-07-2003, 01:19 AM
hehehe funny you should ask, cause i used *rust not* rust converter earlier on tonight, on both the brake and clutch pedal.........i thought that once disassembled, why not take time to perform a job that will last a long long time :).....so i did.

take care, im off to bed now