PDA

View Full Version : Is numerous coats of Blitz good for the winter months?

dexter
10-03-2003, 12:24 PM
I will be prepping my car in the next week for what seems is going to be another harsh Michigan winter. Last year, I layered numerous coats of Blitz before and during the winter months, when the weather allowed. The paint still felt and looked very good when spring came along. My question is this, are most of you people layering the carnauba waxes or going with a more heavy-duty sealant? Thanks :xyxthumbs

Jngrbrdman
10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
For winter on the salty streets of Salt Lake I use 6 coats of SG and then put on a P21S coat when weather permits. I know that carnauba won`t last long under these conditions so I don`t bother layering it ahead of time. The Klasse protects it well enough and the P21S helps keep the road spray from sticking to the car. You really have to see that stuff in action. There is a huge difference to the amount of yuck on the car after driving in the slush and spray when you use P21S. I`ve got a thread out there somewhere from when I compared Souveran to P21S side by side under such conditions. Very cool. This year maybe I`ll try it against Liquid Souveran and Blitz to see if one is better than the other and then pit the winner against P21S.

imported_Intermezzo
10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
GTI, I can`t speak from experience because I live in the west coast, but if you are actually able to apply coats of Blitz DURING the winter months, then I think you`ll be fine. However, I think applying a base coat of multiple layers of Klasse would be even better.

Jngrbrdman, I agree, P21S is one of the best when it comes to repelling the elements. But from your thread, it sounds like you don`t feel the same way with Klasse? I`ve always thought Klasse was a champ in this department as well.

Spilchy
10-03-2003, 02:22 PM
I`ve used Blitz. It winds up leaving white residue on all my black rubber trim.

I can`t stress enough the magic properties of Collinite Insulator Wax for winter months. This stuff is armor. It`s incredible.

Nothing but Collinite will top my car (and wheels) for the harsh NorthEast winter months.

It`s theeeeeee best for protection. Here is how it is described:

This heavy duty liquid wax was originally developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions. It`s primary use is on the finishes of automobiles, trucks, buses and airplanes where durability, high gloss and lasting protection are paramount. An excellent choice for fleet applications and very easy to use--requires minimum rubbing or buffing. Clear coat safe.

G Money
10-03-2003, 02:30 PM
I used Blitz last fall 2002 (Oct.) and it was still beading ok by late January when I was able to sneak another coat on the car when it warmed up to almost 50 one Saturday.

This was a harsh winter with 200+ inches of snow, lots of salt spray and multiple auto washes. Blitz did the job, but I wouldn`t say it was outstanding.

My car is garaged in the evenings and that helped a bit.

Lowejackson
10-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Blitz is a great wax and lasts a long time but I am not convinced it can be layered. I know you can apply on top of a drying layer for an extra bit of shine. I am sure there were some threads a long time ago where RonK stated Blitz cannot be layered.

weegee
10-03-2003, 03:56 PM
I don`t see too much advantage to layering Blitz. Maybe 2 coats at most to make sure you have proper coverage. Just go back and hit it with another coat from time to time, weather permitting.

But from what I`ve read on other threads, if you`re looking for the ultimate protection, a few coats of SG underneath that Blitz won`t hurt.

imported_Tony
10-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Snow?

Jngrbrdman
10-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Tony,

Yeah, SG is pretty awesome at repelling the elements, but nothing rinses cleaner than P21S/S100. Its like the dirt refuses to stick to it. I`ve never seen that kind of reaction even with Klasse. I would use Klasse for the durability and protection, but P21S/S100 is the bomb when it comes to a product that will just rinse nearly clean when it rains or gets wet.

dexter
10-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I do have access to heated garage during the winter months so I try to wash once a week or more to get the salt and slush crap off and then I like to apply the Blitz every few weeks to keep the paint protected.

drdetail
10-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Ive gotten up to 7 layers of blitz on my car at one point, with a layer or sg below, but with each layer it looks deeper and shinier.

imported_NHBFAN
10-05-2003, 10:40 PM
This weekend I applied Collinite Super Double Coat and one coat of Blitz. Already had 4 or 5 coats of KSG.

My truck is almost ready for another brutal New Orleans` winter.

Jesstzn
10-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Up here inthe great white north the best I can do is wash every Sunday morning. I use the coin wash but bring my water/Soap and just use the water. With the ammount of sand they use on the roads up here its not a good idea to winter wax for fear of grinding sand into the paint. I have had #26 bead all winter for me , last coat applied near the end of Oct. Using the car wash wand soap is hard on wax as the soap is very caustic and lifts the wax.