PDA

View Full Version : any idea on how to get rust off under dashboard from carpet cleaning ?

chip douglas
10-02-2003, 06:12 PM
This summer i thoroughly cleaned carpeting in my car, yet so thoroughly that there`s now rust under dashboard(just below steering wheel)......steeering wheel universal joint has rust on, as well as a few brackets in there too.........and since it s a difficult place to gain access to, i`m asking here as many people might have god idea how to get rid of it. As to me i have thought of 2 choice : either apply rust converter on those, or remove rust by hand, as i`ve tried dremel rotaty tool and there s not enough room there to allow it in. It`s kind of a REAL tight and bad place for one to remove rust..............of course it doesnt show, as one have to crouch under the console to see it, yet *i* know it is there, and it annoys me a bit........but it is also my fault as i wanted my carpets to be clean as a whistle......yes they re real clean, but cause of too much humidity for too long a time in the car, cause rust o those metal parts.

Anyway, if anyone has got any idea, i will consider it, i`m not expecting a miracle, but i may have missed a few good methods to correct the problem.

Best regards all :xyxthumbs

Bill D
10-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Hmmm.. if the rust is heavy ,yes you`ll need a rust coverter.

Maybe try a metal brush to fit it in there and brush off ther rust maybe after spraying something like wd-40, or my favorite, Aero Kroil on it first. Hopefully the wd-40/Kroil could dissolve or at least loosen the rust if it isn`t too widespread or thick.

HTH

chip douglas
10-02-2003, 07:04 PM
WD-40 humm sounds like a good idea to loosen rust...........i`ll prolly give it a go.

thanks Bill:wavey

Bill D
10-02-2003, 07:10 PM
My pleasure, hope the rust is mild enough to loosen up for you. I`ve had a similar situation, but the rust was on some bolts in my engine compartment and if WD-40 didn`t work the Kroil got it off like magic. Be sure to let it sit for a little while for best results. :up

kbshadow
10-02-2003, 07:46 PM
I would try navel jelly, brush it on and wipe it off.

Bob

Stockton Ca

chip douglas
10-03-2003, 09:04 PM
i tried various products yet in vain as the rust is too strong....it s been there for about a month...........i tried vinegar, loose nuts, a rotary tool(dremel), the latter would work but it would have to be a less reccessed area. it s a very tight area(under console, near clutch and brake pedals, i guess my only option now is rust converter :( i hope it does stop rust for a good while.

let me know if any more ideas/solution about it.

best regards all:doh