PDA

View Full Version : Leather Care Products

huggybear
10-02-2003, 02:31 PM
I was wandering around the local feed store for some duck food and passed the Tack section and saw a huge bottle of lexol that in and of itself does not intrest me, BUT the products around it did.

Has anyone heard/used a product by Farham...product line is "Leather New"

Also they had Fiebing Mink Oil and Neets foot(?) Oil.

I have known these to be used on saddles/tack for a long time but never really thought about using them on my car seats.

Has anyone had any experiences with these products?

Thanks.

Bobby G
10-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Be very careful using oil/petrol based products on modern leather interiors. Petrol chemicals, comonly used on tanned leather products, will remove the thin vinyl film applied to modern leather interiors. This includes any product with mink iol.

db

huggybear
10-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Cool beans thanks for the heads up!

Bill D
10-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Go with the Lexol. I have the large bottle you mentioned. I`ve been using it for 9 years with no problems. Otherwise, I would suggest Leatherique for any more involved leather care that may be needed.

weegee
10-02-2003, 06:37 PM
I`ll confirm that as well. I remember reading somewhere never to use product intended for a saddle on "modern" automative leather.

I use Lexol and it does a great job. I`ve also heard that dove soap and water is pretty good, although I haven`t tried myself.

Bill D
10-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Yes in a pinch I think the Dove will work to handle small clean ups.

I use the Lexol conditioner fairly often and it has kept the seats in my older car in real good condition :up

huggybear
10-02-2003, 06:56 PM
curently i`ve liked 1z`s leatherfledge gets my thumbs up for most leather conditioning needs although i am going to order leatherique and see how it does.

Bill D
10-02-2003, 07:06 PM
I`m curious about those products. I know several people dislike the smell of Lexol and have used products by Meguiars and others to satisfaction.

huggybear
10-02-2003, 07:46 PM
I`d definatley give leatherflege a try it has a nice smell. I cant really smell it if the cars interior is cold say 70 and under but if its been sitting in the sun and the temp is anywhere above 80 inside it smells....clean and warm very welcoming. Coupled with 1z`s cockpit premium the smells combine really well. CP has more of a crisp sharp smell.

shaf
10-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Calestus

I was wandering around the local feed store for some duck food and passed the Tack section and saw a huge bottle of lexol that in and of itself does not intrest me, BUT the products around it did.

Has anyone heard/used a product by Farham...product line is "Leather New"

Also they had Fiebing Mink Oil and Neets foot(?) Oil.

I have known these to be used on saddles/tack for a long time but never really thought about using them on my car seats.

Has anyone had any experiences with these products?

Thanks. Hahahaha!!! I have! I`m trying to experiment in using some of the Leather New Deep Conditioner on a patch of my seats that is hardened but needs replacing, so it`s expendable. Basically I`m trying to see if it can replace something like Leatherique. :o

So far, this stuff is strange. It seems just like some kind of light oil (not water based), and I`m not getting a ton of absorbtion with it. I don`t know if I haven`t cleaned the leather well enough or what, but I let it sit overnight and there`s not as much soaking in or softening as I`d hoped. I`ve tried it 3 times so far and it`s maybe a tad softer, but that`s no good...

I`m going to try some stronger cleaners and see what happens.