PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 350Z?

Pages : [1] 2

inspector
10-02-2003, 12:24 PM
I wanted a 350Z but got a Z4 instead. Anybody have the 350Z that could tell me if I am missing out on anything?

The Nissian dealers would not let me test drive the car so I refused to buy. How is the ride? To stiff or what? Any squeaks or rattels yet?Challenged any Firebirds or Mustangs yet?

YIELAR
10-02-2003, 01:00 PM
I own a super black on charcol 03 350Z Performance Edition with a 6 spd manual transmition. I can`t say enough good things about it but I`ll say a few of the high lights that come to mind. The handling is very impressive. Lets just say that a friend of mine let me drive his 2000 Vet for a summer and compared the the 350Z it handles like a pregnant lady on roller skates ! ;) The power is very linear unlike any other car I have driven. The amount of after market bolt on parts for the 350Z are simply insane which is one of the things I really enjoy. Do a search for some after market parts for the S2000, RX8 heck even the Z4 and see how many options there are? The amount of looks I get driving it are simply incredible and you would have to drive one to really see what I mean. I have been driving down the highway and had people pull up beside me, roll down there window, and tell me how much they love my car and I`m not making this up ! I`ve had people as old as 80 and young as 5 compliment me on the Z. It`s unbelievable really. The only thing that I am not looking forward to is parking her for the winter here in Kelowna, British Columbia. I`ve put 12,500 Kms on since June 15....at least I won`t be racking up the kms over the winter months....unless I get the urge to go for a spin weather permitting. :o I know what you mean about not being able to take a test drive in the Z. They told me I would have to wait until I bought the car before I could drive it and if I didn`t like it.....they would simply buy it back from me! I took their word for it and I didn`t end up selling it back. :xyxthumbs

Yielar

imported_kgb
10-02-2003, 01:20 PM
They got good ratings in Car and Driver....but the S2000 was slightly better ;) I like them both!

YIELAR
10-02-2003, 03:51 PM
I do also like the look of the S2000 but like the upgrading potential of a V6 3.5 as opposed to the 2.0 4 banger. Check out this race between the 350, S2000, M3 and the Porshe Boxter. Enjoy.

P.S. Not dial up friendly.

[ http://auto.joins.com/upboard/pds/pdst/BestMotoring_350Z_TsukubaBattle.asf ]

Yielar

inspector
10-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Great!

Now, more questions:

Is the interior holding up like new?

Any squeaks or rattels?

Do the cup holders work well?

Is it a real pain to get in the center console?

How is the trunk noise from the driver seat?

Is the ride what you expected?

Are you ready to trade it in or sell it?

Does it scream when you romp on it from a dead stop?

Are the Brembos adequet?

Been over 100mph? 120? 140?

AH

SlvrChrm03Max
10-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by inspector

Great!

The Z has the sweetest exhaust note that i`ve heard on a stock exhaust.

Deep_Freeze
10-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by inspector

Great!

Now, more questions:

Is the interior holding up like new?

Any squeaks or rattels?

Do the cup holders work well?

Is it a real pain to get in the center console?

How is the trunk noise from the driver seat?

Is the ride what you expected?

Are you ready to trade it in or sell it?

Are the Brembos adequet?

Been over 100mph? 120? 140?

AH

1. The interior is fine.

2. Every car has some rattles, but this car is one of the most stable and rigid cars I have ever been in. Quite impressive.

3. There are 3 cupholders in the car, one is like in front of the passenger for use by the driver. It works fine.

4. Center console is fine.

5. Well, the rear wheelwells are not well insulated, so you can hear these noises in the car. Probably done to save weight.

6. The ride is a sticking point. It rides well, the only problem is on some roads it can get a tad bouncy. There are aftermarket solutions for this, though. Ride is great for me, good balance between ride and performance.

7. Heck no, this car is outstanding and I won`t sell it for anything near its price range.

8. The stock sound of this car is one of the best I have been around for its price range.

9. Don`t have Brembos, hear they are good, but stock brakes are fine unless you track alot.

10. Feels like 80 at 120mph. Been to 160, nice.

Absolutely no regrets. This car has been outstanding for me. As for comparisons, those cars are really different cars entirely. This car has a flat useable power curve, unlike the more peaky cars that you are comparing it to.

BumpersPlus2
10-02-2003, 08:12 PM
I REALLY like the new convertible 350Z!!!!!!!!

imported_Greg
10-03-2003, 05:35 PM
We are selling ours. Wanna buy a 03 Silverstone Track- only 2,000 miles?

Eh, its ok. After driving it and my 3 series, not a Z4, but you get the idea- I jump in my 3 series every time even though it has less power. Selling the Z for a 95 M3. The Brembos are nice, dust like crazy. The engine hits pretty hard, everything rattles, the ride is pretty harsh- but so is my 3 so no big deal. The shifter is short and pretty good, handling is pretty good- the rear end likes to get sideways. I liked the styling more when it came out than now. Paint is pretty nice, relatively devoid of orange peel. Overall- wish we had gotten the 993 instead, I rate it a C.

bigpoppa
10-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by YIELAR

drive his 2000 Vet for a summer and compared the the 350Z it handles like a pregnant lady on roller skates ! ;)

let me just say I have serious doubts about that.

YIELAR
10-03-2003, 08:33 PM
lol. Well maybe not like a pregnant lady on roller skates but definately not like the 350. I wasn`t talking about a Z06 either. Just my opinion after having driven them both.

Yielar

imported_Aurora40
10-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Since this is about the 350, let me relate my co-worker`s troubles. He`s had the power windows crap out (they would no longer go up), had to get two new front tires at about 4,000 miles because the factory alignment was not good, took it in for a few small recalls, and now he needs a new transmission. The car has like 5,000 miles on it. But of course, this is not the average experience. And he`s still quite happy with it.

I personally find the interior a bit low-rent and find the exterior styling a tad boring (especially the rear). It was a sporty car to ride around in, though. It was a bit hard-riding, and we were on fairly nice roads. It had a decent exhaust note until he riced out the mufflers, but I think my car sounded better (so did he once he heard me accelerating past him at WOT, and no we weren`t racing each other). He was of the impression all the cheapy interior bits were real aluminum, which I found surprising as they are painted a metal flake (real aluminum doesn`t have to be painted to look like aluminum) plus, the flashing from the plastic mold was very visible, and you can feel it on the interior door handles when you use them. The leather was an interesting color, but was like SUV leather. It was very thick and hard, and almost seems fake. And that digital gauge thing on the center console looked like a $3 watch you get in a cereal box. It`s an LCD square inside a round face, but the square is all set back from the face, much like a cheapy digital watch.

To me it seemed like a nice sporty car for around 30 grand, but since his stickered somewhere north of 38 grand, it seems like maybe it should have either a nicer interior or a bit more punch (it doesn`t feel like a car with nearly 300hp, but it does accelerate nicely). Sorry if this sounds like a bash, I don`t mean it that way. It does seem like a decent car, but it seems to me like one that has been swept up in a lot of hype. I suspect the 2nd year sales will be a bit lower than the 1st year`s, much like a Thunderbird or New Beetle. They aren`t bad cars, but maybe not such great cars for the money once you take away the hype/newness factor. :nixweiss

MSOsr
10-04-2003, 07:49 PM
I love my Touring model, Daytona Blue with Charcoal leather. I`ve modified the exterior somewhat, with a Kaminari front lip, side skirts and rear skirt. I have also added HRE 445R wheels.

I have owned the 300ZX Twin Turbo and a 97 M3, and I think the 350Z is the most fun to drive.

One other point: when you drive it, get ready for stares and thumbs ups!

YIELAR
10-04-2003, 08:03 PM
First off I think your the first person I have EVER heard say that the 350Z`s exterior is boring! I know you love your Aurora but lets be serious. Every car is going to have a few glitches in it`s first year being released you just have to expect that. The 350Z was designed with one thing in mind which is performance. Of course it`s going to have a stiffer ride than your Oldsmoble sedan but thats why it`s a better handler. Personally I like the tight feel of the suspension but if your looking for a nice caddy type ride then definately don`t buy the 350Z. It`s interior is not going to be comparable to a 47k Oldsmoble sedan but with a sports car weight is a major concern. I have the charcol lether seats and I don`t think they look cheap what so ever! It depends on what you looking for out of your car. If you want a car that carries 5 people with a nice caddy type ride then go for a sedan, but if you want a car that you just find driving with no destination in mind and don`t want to spend a fortune try a 350Z. You don`t think the 350Z has enough punch? Did you even drive it or is this just from riding along in the passenger seat? It`s pumping out 287 hp at the crank from a V6! The Aurora is rated at 250 and it`s a V8. I wasn`t going to post a reply but I just had to defend some of the ignorant comments made by Aurora. The two cars aren`t even in the same league. One is for getting groceries and one is not.

Yielar

imported_Aurora40
10-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by YIELAR

First off I think your the first person I have EVER heard say that the 350Z`s exterior is boring! I know you love your Aurora but lets be serious. Every car is going to have a few glitches in it`s first year being released you just have to expect that. The 350Z was designed with one thing in mind which is performance. Of course it`s going to have a stiffer ride than your Oldsmoble sedan but thats why it`s a better handler. Personally I like the tight feel of the suspension but if your looking for a nice caddy type ride then definately don`t buy the 350Z. It`s interior is not going to be comparable to a 47k Oldsmoble sedan but with a sports car weight is a major concern. I have the charcol lether seats and I don`t think they look cheap what so ever! It depends on what you looking for out of your car. If you want a car that carries 5 people with a nice caddy type ride then go for a sedan, but if you want a car that you just find driving with no destination in mind and don`t want to spend a fortune try a 350Z. You don`t think the 350Z has enough punch? Did you even drive it or is this just from riding along in the passenger seat? It`s pumping out 287 hp at the crank from a V6! The Aurora is rated at 250 and it`s a V8. I wasn`t going to post a reply but I just had to defend some of the ignorant comments made by Aurora. The two cars aren`t even in the same league. One is for getting groceries and one is not.

Yielar

At what point did I say the Aurora would be a better car than a 350Z? They are clearly different. I found the Z to ride fairly stiff in general, not as compared to my Aurora. I used to own a Z51 Corvette, and the Z reminded me a lot of that. It was fun, but uncomfortably stiff on anything but perfect road. The acceleration of the Z reminded me of it as well. Very enjoyable, but like I said, it doesn`t feel like close to 300 hp (my Corvette had 240 hp and 345 lb-ft of torque). Drive a 305 hp LS-1`d Camaro (which loaded was about $10,000 cheaper than the Z, about the same difference in price as a Corvette and the Z) and tell me if they seem similar in power. Anyway, it`s just my opinion. I don`t think I said it is slow or anything.

And yes, my opinion is from only casual experience with the car. So it`s quite possible my opinion of the ride and acceleration would change with more time in one. However, I don`t believe that makes my opinion ignorant, and I fully revealed the contact I`ve had with the car. You are welcome to discount my opinion because of the limited experience with the car.

That said, I don`t have to own one to comment on the material or style. I`ve been in a number of them. What other leather are you comparing the car to? What other leather interiors have you really paid attention to? I found the leather in the Z to be similar to leather in a Trailblazer or Explorer. Very thick, with that sort of dimpling, and not particularly soft. It feels like it is made to be abused rather than to be coddled. The seats are attractive from a distance, though, mainly due to the nice stitching. And I do find the exterior to be a bit bland. It is just a generic sporty shape, and the back just sort of runs off. Again, just my opinion.

Not sure why you think I was comparing it to my Aurora, but as far as engines, if you think peak numbers define an engine`s power then I really don`t know what to say to you. And I don`t think I said my car was more powerful anyway. But it definitely sounds better. :P

And since you are making comments about the Aurora, have you ever even seen one in person, let alone get in one? My car does not have a "Caddy ride". It is quite sporty given its size. And it cost me $32K brand new, and ordered specifically for me. Not $47K (though thanks for the compliment!). And I often drive my car with nowhere to go, or take the long way home, just to hear that Aurora V8 roar... :eek:

I didn`t mean to get you all ruffled up. If you love your car, then that`s all that really matters. Who cares what I think of it? I don`t think the car sucks or anything. I just think it`s a nice car for low $30`s, but I personally feel that for mid to high $30`s (or $40`s with some of the markups) it should have a little more. You are free to feel differently.

P.S. While I feel my co-workers troubles are in no way typical or representative of the car in general, maybe you should just say that too. Excusing it by saying it is expected for a first-model-year car is absurd. I really don`t think he expected (nor should have expected) to get his first tranny swap at the same time as his first oil change... :doh

P.P.S. Feel free to defend my ignorant comments again... :rolleyes: