PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo Dual Head or PC

melhawaii
10-01-2003, 11:33 PM
I do a lot of buffing of 1500 - 2000 grit sand scratches. Currently I use a Dewalt buffer but don`t like using it because of slinging and burn potential. I was wondering if a random orbit polisher with the right combination of pads and compound could make my job easier and make me more comfortable. I do have a Cyclo polisher. However, I`m thinking of getting a PC instead. Anyone have any advice?

Guinnesspounder
10-02-2003, 04:56 AM
Have a PC and love it.:up

Used it on my black truck and my fiances` grey hatchback and both turned out really good. If you go to Coastal Tool they`re only about $107 sans S/H.

Preachers Sheets
10-02-2003, 07:11 AM
I can`t recall if the Cyclo is speed adjustable but I talked to someone a while back who had the Porter Cable, Cyclo, Rotary and a few other products that were the same (another random orbitial polisher, more than one rotary etc) and he said the Cyclo gets the most time because it`s clear coat friendly, has two pads and can cover a nice amount of space in a shorter time without having to step up to a rotary with a huge pad and worry about burning and small tight areas.

I still want to get myself a Cyclo but I want to sell my Porter Cable right.

Accumulator
10-02-2003, 12:12 PM
melhawaii - Check my response to your other, related thread. Yes, the Cyclo would be good for what you`re doing *IF* you want to use a RO as opposed to a rotary and IF you can get to the areas you need ot with the Cyclo`s head design. I`m resisting the urge to go on and on about it, just check out my other post. It IS a fixed speed but seems to be more aggressive than the PC and it **DEFINITELY IS** a *MUCH* more heavy-duty piece of equipment. I`ve had to have my PC rebuilt once and it could use it again, that`s after maybe 6-8 years of light, non-commercial use. My older Cyclo was used commercially for years when I had a used-car dealership (think EXTREME ABUSE like you can`t imagine, including being left outside in the rain/snow for over a week) and I use it all the time now. Hasn`t even be LUBED, ever (I know, :nono I promise to quit abusing it), and after nearly 20 years it works perfectly. I`m gonna get it gone over by the factory just for my peace of mind (and then I`ll lube it religiously :o ), but it DOES NOT need it. Cyclos are indestructible.

Preachers Sheets
10-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Accumulator - You should be a sales guys for Cyclo because I`m getting the itch to buy one.

Someone buy my PC kit :(

Accumulator
10-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by joed1228

Accumulator - You should be a sales guys for Cyclo because I`m getting the itch to buy one.

Someone buy my PC kit :(

Heh heh, maybe they should give me a discount on the rebuild :D

Don`t ditch the PC though, you`ll find jobs where the Cyclo just doesn`t fit the contours of the car well enough (curvaceous Jaguars come to mind). Those smaller pads don`t always mean what one might expect as far as getting into tight spots.