PDA

View Full Version : newb question on QD process

JDM99
10-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Maybe a dumb question, but was wondering the correct process for using QD sprays. I only use after I wash (as opposed to a "dry" car) but was wondering if I should dry the car first (MF big blue towel) then QD, or QD while the car still has some water on it after rinsing.

Preachers Sheets
10-01-2003, 11:41 AM
I have always dried the car before using any sort of quick detail.

It takes forever with a cotton towel to remove the waterand quick detail and I try not to rub the paint anymore than I have to.

imported_rachelanne16
10-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Most QDs should be sprayed onto a clean, dry surface, then buffed off with a clean MF towel.

One exception would be Eagle One Wax-As-U-Dry (http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=90).

tommyd
10-01-2003, 02:16 PM
On the same vein:

Aren`t y`all worried about swirls using a QD?

(when used as touch ups between washes).

I`ve tried it once... a couple of days after washing...

used the CCD to get rid of the grit... but i think as thorough as you are with it... there`s still gonna be a bit on the car still, which will get rubbed into your paint no?

Also, there`s inevitably going to be some kind of contaminant on the surface (maybe a bug splatter)...

do you just work around that or is there a process to clean this off? the only think i can think of is a bug&tar remover or a degreaser (whatever is necessary) but that would mean you`d have to reapply your wax to that spot again...

is there another way?

imported_Macgirl
10-01-2003, 03:05 PM
QD products are great for removing fresh bug remains and bird poop. That is mainly what I use my QD for anyway, I`ll keep a bottle in the trunk and a couple of MF towels handy for any ocassion when I might need a clean-up (i.e; bug splatter, bird bomb, sprinkler or light rain shower). It is also great at touch-up for those pesky water spots that appear after you have dried your car, you know, when you park it and then water drips out of crevices and dries immediately.

I don`t use QD`s as a substitue for washing the car, rather as a touch-up tool. If I`ve got a light dusting on the CLEAN car, and I`m going out and want the it to look awesome, then I`ll hit it with some QD and buff (don`t rub) to a gloss. You should be OK and avoid swirls if you only use it when your car is freshly cleaned and use the wipe and buff method (that is, don`t rub and scrub, just wipe the dust, smudge, bug guts, etc. and then lightly buff).

tommyd
10-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Because of the acids in bird poop and bug stains, wouldn`t it be better to leave the area exposed for a while to let them evaporate? (so i`ve heard).

a qd is a wax product right?

so isn`t it going to trap the acids on your paint... sealing them in?

i have a bird sh*t kit in the car and my process includes:

some car soap solution and some 100% cotton squares...

i soak the spot with the cotton square flat on the surface...

resoak with distilled water and leave for a few minutes...

the sh*t will usually come right off with a simple swipe...

i usually follow up with a qd after, but i`m still not sure that i should be...?... especially if there`s a stain on the paint...

huggybear
10-02-2003, 08:40 PM
you want to get bird ammunition off your car as quickly as possible so the acids in the p00 dont have time to etch your paint.

Most QDs do not have waxes in them Clear Pearl and Wax-as-U-Dry are a couple that do.

tommyd
10-02-2003, 09:32 PM
so i`ve learned.... i`ve had that preconcetpion for a long time so this clears things up...

now too go look for a QD sans wax!

thx

Deanski
10-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Try the Clearkote QuickShine or Megs Final Detail. FD contains some silicone, but no wax, and QS does not contain wax as far as I know. FD maybe tuff to find as it`s in the Meguirs specialty line for Detailers, but if you have a good rep, he can order you a gallon, as that`s how it`s shipped!

Both are high quality QD`s!

Regards,

Deanski

tommyd
10-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Actually, there`s a lot of Meg`s FD `round these parts... heard a lot of good things about QS too... which is rarer to find round here so that`s the one i`ll want of course...

:p

but on a serious note... i`m guesing the silicone in the FD is harmless?