PDA

View Full Version : Help! Car got nailed in the parking lot... need suggestions.

jinpsu
09-30-2003, 09:55 PM
After work today I went to the gym and when I got there I noticed a HUGE chunk taken out of my front bumper. :angry :angry It looks way too big for touch up paint. Anyone have any suggestions?

Pic is kinda blurry... camera had trouble focusing because I took the pic at 8:30 with no light.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/d/jdg200/other/bumper.jpg

imported_BretFraz
09-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Looks like a trip to the body shop is in order. That scrape is all the way down to the plastic.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

tpgsr
10-01-2003, 12:23 AM
well, you are in VA and i am in NY, I would offer to help fix and paint it, but too far!! What is going to have to be done is that the damage area will have to be sanded filled and smothed out, and then it will ahve to be primed and painted again, and last time i did something like this (but on much more damage) i had to re-paint the entire bumper. If it is a good body shop, i dont think for that little damage they will have to do the whole bumper, but i am an everyday detailer and hobby painter and body guy, so i could be wrong. Side note, is that a mustang we are looking at?

That corner makes me think mustang or maybe A4, i am probably way off though

jinpsu
10-01-2003, 05:19 AM
Yeah, I figured I`d have to take it to the body shop... I`m pissed, the car is only 3 months old. It`s a 2004 WRX by the way.

Justin.

tom p.
10-01-2003, 07:31 AM
Don`t overlook the mobile airbrush guys...it`s this kind of damage that created an new industry.

In our area, they are called BlendTek. link (http://blendtek.com/)

It`s typical for these guys to work in conjunction with the dent doctors...sometimes they are one in the same...fixing dents and doing a little airbrushing to make cars in the used car lot appear nearly new.

I suspect that a trip to the body shop would be required if you are looking for a very permanent and invisible repair. If you are not looking for perfection, the airbrushing will be far less $$.

GoodnClean
10-01-2003, 05:12 PM
You`d be surprised what those guys can do...

You`ll always notice it, but if you have a place like that do a good touchup and buff no one else will. Its a question of whether it will bother you enough to pay to have it completely repainted or not. They`re going to have to at least re-clear the whole bumper.

Then you`re going to have the added issue of paint match.

I had the same thing happened to me, I was outside the Gym and someone backed into me, leaving a similar (but smaller) mark. I had some estimates done, and hit it on my own with some DACP, with my trusty touchup pen of color and clear and my PC, DACP with a yellow pad it looks 98% perfect. I wasn`t concerned about cost, but about breaking the factory paint layer to repair such superficial damage.

If you do want to have it totally repainted PM me and I have a place you can go that does great work, its in Rockville, MD.