PDA

View Full Version : OK, I jumped in bought the PC and ...

mariola
09-30-2003, 08:55 PM
I have a 1983 Porsche 944 (red) with faded paint. I`ve been reading and reading and decided to try my hand at using the PC. I used a Porter Cable 7336 with a yellow pad and SMR. I think that would be considered playing it on the safe side. I did half the hood and I can`t believe how the finish changed. I am approaching this correctly? I just feel a little unsure of myself at the moment. Thanks for all your help and many enjoyable hours of reading.

imported_BretFraz
09-30-2003, 11:07 PM
Well, I assume the finish has changed for the better, correct?

I don`t know how exactly you`re approaching it but if you`re getting good results then I`d say your approach is just fine. If you`re happy, we all are happy for you. Don`t worry, keep polishing. The PC is about as foolproof a detailing tool as there is. Relax and enjoy the process. :up :up

cpaddock
09-30-2003, 11:14 PM
How exactly did you do the hood?

I myself start at about 3K rpms, doing a 2 x 2 section or so. Applying firm pressure, I slowly work the pad back and forth. Then in an up and down pattern. As it starts to dry I move the speed up, both on the PC and across the surface.

Also if you have not ya might want to pick up some blue painters tape. It is great for sticking on trim to prevent residue.

HTH :) . Maybe some of the veterans will chime in too:wavey .

weegee
10-01-2003, 12:46 PM
follow up the SMR with a lighter polish. I`d recommend GEPC with a white pad. Then you`ll really be wow`d!!!!! Don`t forget to wax or use a sealant to protect that shine.

andriver
10-01-2003, 01:52 PM
Where`s the pictures?