PDA

View Full Version : Polishing a "woody" decal on PTCruiser??

blkyukon
09-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Here is the car:

http://users.ca.astound.net/cal0828/detail/pt.jpg

Can you apply a polish to these decals? If so how abbrasive of a polish can you use, DACP, SMR, GEPC??

Thanks for any help

Charles

forrest@mothers
09-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Those are vinyl decals - I`d be hesitant to use anything more than a wax without cleaners in it.

70fastback
09-30-2003, 01:46 PM
I polished extremely faded blue vinyl decals on a boat. I used a rotary (dewalt) w/white waffle pad at lowest speed and 3M FI compound. I experimented on a small area cause I thought I would tear them apart but they turned out good as new.

endus
09-30-2003, 03:13 PM
I would even consider 303 or something to preserve the vinyl rather than wax. I definitely wouldn`t polish it too much...if at all. I certainly wouldn`t make polish a regular part of my detailing routine because the decals will definitely wear out. I would guess that the #1 thing you want is tons of UV protection to keep it from fading...I dunno if a wax or regular 303ing would be better in that regard.

blkyukon
09-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by endus

I would even consider 303 or something to preserve the vinyl rather than wax. I definitely wouldn`t polish it too much...if at all. I certainly wouldn`t make polish a regular part of my detailing routine because the decals will definitely wear out. I would guess that the #1 thing you want is tons of UV protection to keep it from fading...I dunno if a wax or regular 303ing would be better in that regard.

Thanks, I didn`t even think about a vinyl protectant:xyxthumbs

The thing is it has some scratches and swirls in it and I hoping to use something as mild as VM without damaging it.:nixweiss