PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a little off topic...

manticore33
09-29-2003, 08:53 PM
I recently purchased a 1996 Eagle Talon TSi (Two tone, Polar Green and the top roof / spoiler is Black.) This is my first post, I`ve been lurking for a couple of weeks for good ideas and pointers to really clean up the car.

The spoiler was faded / the paint started wore off in spots, so I found a cheap black spoiler off of DSMTrader.com (Parts classified) . Listed good condition (which it is besides shipping damage). I received it today and from shipping both corners (its boomerang shaped) are chipped to fiber glass and rough and a cracked. I know this might be beyond the scope of this site, but are there any recommendations to fill cracks / chips in for fiber glass? I am concerned something like bondo will break loose over time and I would be back to square one.

Attached are some pictures, and I am sure I can get Black touchup paint from a dealer.

Top View

http://mantiland.dyndns.org/spoiler/crack1.jpg

http://mantiland.dyndns.org/spoiler/crack2.jpg

I appreciate any help, and if this wrong for me to have posted I appologize.

Accumulator
09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
manticore33- Welcome to Autopia. I`d check with an autobody/paint supply place. Fiberglass can usually be repaired (ask a `vette owner), but you should use the right stuff.

Been ages (over 20 years) since I`ve worked with it, but basically you will grind out the damaged areas a bit (I`d use a Dremel, and WEAR A FILTER MASK) and fill them in with fiberglass resin mix. Allow to dry, sand smooth (WEAR A MASK). A LITTLE bondo/putty can be used to smooth things up and it should stay put.

manticore33
09-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Thanks.

That is what tool I was thinking, dremel, and using a router very very tiny router bit to cut a uniform "gouge" into the spoiler over the crack. Next, fill the gouge and top with touch up paint, I am trying to do with with as little damage to the original finish as possible. If I have to repaint it, well I should just redo mine since there is no cracks or chips.

I need to check to see how much and if they make a bit for the dremel that small. I need something maybe 1/16th of an inch.

imported_KevinA
09-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Did you have shipping insurance? If so, you may be able to collect on it for the repairs.

manticore33
09-30-2003, 07:17 PM
I am contacting USPS and seeing where that is going. They said they would get back to me in a few days. I am hoping they will atleast compensate me something, as I doubt they would replace it.

It was just a shame, I was so excited to replace the stock spoiler with another one with good paint. I almost drove up to MI to get it, but the shipping price to gas ratio tempted me into waiting. Well did save myself 10hrs of driving, but for nothing.

I guess on the ups I can try to my hand at minor body work and get to go dremel shopping. I love new toys :)