PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a repaint...

blackntan
09-29-2003, 09:53 AM
I got my car back last week from having the nose repainted. I was buffing the paint out for the first time when I discovered that it wasn`t clearcoated. My yellow pads were turned black!!

The color match and everything is perfect. But the rest of the car is clearcoated.

Is this going to be a problem? Should I take it back?

What about product usage? Is it still OK to use PI-III FC on the nose? Will it remove the paint faster?

I just don`t know how to react to this discovery.. Anyone??

Robb
09-29-2003, 09:56 AM
definately take it back, you are finding out an important lesson, it is nearly impossible to find a good shop that actually does quality work, im in the same situation with a shop that does poor work and making them fix thier mistakes is definately upsetting.

K_Csaxo
09-29-2003, 10:36 AM
i have to agree with robb, these days you dont get one without the other. i took my car to a bodyshop and they sprayed my mirrors up a treat. thing is that my car was left with overspray all over the glass and rear bumper so i had to get someone to take it off!

upon later inspection i found out that the wheel wells are full of paint and i havent got round to cleaning it off. but yes definitely take it back to the shop. there should be no excuse not to use clear coat these days IMO.

Preachers Sheets
09-29-2003, 10:40 AM
I would bring it back because you probaly paid for clear and you never got it.

Also, I would be worried about how the non clear coated paint would age compared to the rest of the car. One side may lose it`s luster alot quicker than the other then your up the creek because you waited so long.

blackntan
09-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I fully understand the problems with body shops....

It seems my little miata is a target for people in Big SUV`s who are on their cell phones while eating mcdonalds...

I`ve been hit twice in the past 6 months, while at a full stop both times..

The first one was a rear ender, and i`m taking the car back to that body shop today because the bondo work is cracking and coming off of the trunk.. :(

Then, a meer 2 weeks after getting the car back, I was waiting to merge onto a highway, when I was sideswiped by a car who wasn`t paying attention, and almost rear ended the car in front of her. She thought it was a better idea to swerve onto the curb, not realizing I was sitting at the stop sign... ouch.

So now I have to take the car back to the other body shop to have them fix this. I have appointments for both at lunch today.

What a pain in the a$$. If I didn`t owe as much as I did on the car it`d be sold already.

:( :(

Preachers Sheets
09-29-2003, 10:55 AM
I hear ya but once the car is fixed you`ll enjoy it. I went through the hassle like yourself but I liked the car (a Saturn at the time) so much that I couldn`t give it up.

Suprised you didn`t do a Fast & Furious and drive under those huge trucks. I drive a Camaro SS so those SUV`s kind of creep me out too.

jr weeks
09-29-2003, 05:35 PM
You will be faced with parts of the car that oxidize differently, at different rates, because of the single stage on your nosepiece. You would in time see a distinct difference between the nose and the rest of the car.

If you paid for base/clear, they may have tried to save themselves $$$ by going with single stage and figured you`d never know the difference.