PDA

View Full Version : partially detailed buddies car and first test run with 7336SP

airjames
09-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Today my buddy and I went at it on his car, 1998 Saturn, dk blue with alloy rims. Cool little car.

I ordered some pads from TOL, the screw on type, not velcro for reasons & Clay Magic. I showed my buddy some cleaning basics, using a clay bar, wash techniques, and waxing techniques. I washed his car until it couldn`t be washed no more:p it was so filthy and some much junk stuck to it from not having any wax on it. So it was not exactly like where the wash mitt just glides over the surface and the water just beads and sheets off like crazy. I wanted to make this my first detail, Autopian style ;) but time was a problem and we never did get finished. After washing, out comes the Clay Magic for the first time and lemme tell you, I kid you not the first few strokes that clay bar took on the hood was like wetsanding the car. That car was so gritty and so messed up by the time I got done with the car 35 mins later, the clay bar was brown. I tried to stay away from the lower areas because there was still stuck on crap on the rocker panels which I never did get off because of the lack of products. I showed him how to clay, keep the clay bar clean and the car turned out really smooth eventually. After the clay job we used #26 and the PC on the car. Spritzed the pad with water and divided the hood up into 3 sections. Worked the wax into until you could barely see it waited a minute, then buffed off. Buffing off couldn`t be easier, the shine was ok, but something like DACP or Swirl Free on the car prior to wax would make it even better. The car still turned out nice but due to time we couldn`t finish the wax and it was getting cold. Point here is every $109 I spent on that PC was damn well worth it and when used right you will not go back to hand :xyxthumbs ,,,,,,91

CRXSi90
09-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Glad to see you had some success! I agree, the PC is a great tool...makes my scrawney little hand seem worthless. ;)

QD seems to work wonders for bugs and tar...just spray it on, let it sit a min., maybe work around with your fingers a bit, then wipe off. Maybe not the best way, but I have been successful, and you can do it after a wash without having to re-wash.

Why the screw on pads? I am still using my screw on pad also, but I`ll be ordering hook & loop ones. My original one burst apart while I was trying to dry it, but I`ve still been using it, and have actually gotten more work done with the pad broken compared to whole because I`ve not been afraid of messing it up...making beaters shine, attempting polishing glass.

You shouldn`t be afraid of not getting the pad perfectly centered...mine still works with pieces missing!

Just my comments,

Kev

airjames
09-29-2003, 02:41 PM
I like the screw on pads the best because it gives me a feeling that the pad is on there more secure. Maybe I`m overreacting but for now I think I will stick with screw on. Rock on,,,91

2wheelsx2
09-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Since you were not doing any other paint prep, a cleaner wax might have given you a slightly better shine than #26.

imported_KevinA
09-29-2003, 02:47 PM
I used my PC for the first time on Saturday. I have the hook & loop pads and if you`re worried about them coming off while in use, forget it. I was surprised at how strongly they stick, it took some muscle to remove them. Try it, you`ll like it!

shaf
09-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Since you were not doing any other paint prep, a cleaner wax might have given you a slightly better shine than #26. I agree. Especially after doing a clay job (might leave minor marring) and never or seldom detailed cars can often use a mild polishing anyway. Pure waxes like #26 work better on prepped/polished surfaces, but a cleaner wax would be "self-prepping".

cpaddock
09-30-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by F-150_91

Point here is every $109 I spent on that PC was damn well worth it and when used right you will not go back to hand :xyxthumbs ,,,,,,91

I thought for sure(along with me GF:angry )that I was certifiable for buying a PC:doh. Now over a year later and several cars there is not a sinlge detailing tool I think more worthy of the money spent.

It makes me so happy knowing in just one afternoon I can make almost any car glow like new:xyxthumbs