PDA

View Full Version : Can I QD new paint?

luvthong
09-26-2003, 01:39 PM
I am using Clearkote QD for a the new paint on my 97 Integra R. The shop told me not to wax for 45 days. But I want to at least QD it after the wash.

Preachers Sheets
09-26-2003, 02:05 PM
If they told you not to wax it I wouldn`t touch it with anything.

Deanski
09-26-2003, 02:06 PM
As long as the QD does not contain wax, you should be fine. I would however wash it and if needed you could glaze it, again a glaze with no wax. Megs #7 is fine. Just go thin and use a clean MF towel to lightly wipe it off.

Regards,

Deanski

imported_vindaloo
09-26-2003, 03:13 PM
luvthong, I really like your avatar!!

LouisanaJeeper
09-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by vindaloo

luvthong, I really like your avatar!!

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

two thumbs up

luvthong
09-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Back to my question, I am using Clearkote QD, so I am fine sicne it deosn`t have any abvasive stuff, right?:up

Deanski
09-26-2003, 05:13 PM
I`m not 100% sure on this as I`m waiting for my gallon of it. You may want to call them to make sure it does not contain waxes.

You can use q QD or glaze, just watch out for any wax or silicones as you need all the VOC to migrate out of the paint, however most new paints are heat cured in an oven or chemical cure with a catalyst. If you know which paint product they used, you can contact the paint manufacture as to any real cure time. The shop has already wetsanded it, polished it and most likely glazed it with 3M PIII-MG or 3M Trizact or Imperial Microfinishing glaze. The only glaze 3M has that inclused wax in it is 3M PIII-FG which has carnuba.

If you wash the area, use a sheepskin type mitt and you can use Megs 00 High-Tech wash as it has very high lube properties and is bodyshop safe.

Regards,

Deanski

ernie
09-26-2003, 07:17 PM
FYI, no wax in Clearkote QS. Here`s an excerpt from an email I received from them asking just that question:

"Our Quik Shine does not contain any wax of any kind. It

is a water based polish. It is compatible with most other waxes and we have not heard of any bonding issues with other waxes. The polish will give off more brilliance and shine then a wax , however, it only lives for a few days as compared to a wax that can live up to 6 months. ..."

Hope that helps

ernie