PDA

View Full Version : Sound Setup

Pages : [1] 2

Kikkomann
09-26-2003, 12:47 AM
I have here $1K to spend on car audio setup but honestly, I really dont know what brand/s to buy with this money. I already bought a head unit so I guess that leaves me with the amps, speakers and subs to buy. Any suggestions?

Tnx!:wavey

scottabir
09-26-2003, 02:14 AM
depends on what type of sound you are after...Loud, hear you coming three blocks away bass, or more of a great sounding all the way around system

imported_SouthernZ71
09-26-2003, 03:36 AM
Most would say go with a multi amp set-up, but I`m running a Kicker 700.5 with a Audio Control passive X-over (allows me to adjust mids/highs) on 2 JL W0 12`s and my stock highs. Sounds damn nice and I don`t have to deal with finding other places for amps, running caps, changing the Alt out or getting a bigger/better batt.

Kikkomann
09-26-2003, 09:11 AM
scottabir Can I have both with my budget. I know its kinda low (just bought wheels recently).

SouthernZ71 Can you please be more specific and put it into more details? And can my budget handle that?

Lowejackson
09-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Dont worry about brands. It is the installation and setup that really makes the difference.

imported_dl9589
09-28-2003, 06:02 PM
You still have to worry about the brand. You aren`t going to get a Pyle/Pyramid sub to sound as good as a JL, RE, ED, Adire. Although 90% is in installation.

If your looking for a great sounding sub that will go low and get loud if you so choose then look into Elemental Designs (http://www.edesignaudio.com) , and check out their K series sub woofers. If you want their top of the line "A" series, which I`m running and HIGHLY recommend, then they have a packaged deal running now that would give you one 12" A and a matching amp for 450 I believe...awesome, awesome deal.

Kikkomann
09-30-2003, 08:41 PM
How about Kicker, Rockford Fosgate and Blaupunkt? What can you say about these three? Is it OK to buy all the sound components in one brand (say, all the speakers, subs, amps, etc. all from Kicker)? Or I should buy from different manufacturers (say subs= blaupunkt, head unit= pioneer, speakers= kicker)? Tnx!

SickOfItAll
10-01-2003, 02:07 AM
Blaupunkt is decent, Rockford and Kicker are both bottom of the barrel. I`m kind of an extremist when it comes to car audio, but:

Imade Dynamics IDQ series for subs - the only way to go, if you`re on a budget. Plenty loud, great response, great sound.

Focal for mids and highs - there are other options, but only more expensive ones for not as good of a sound.

For amps...

Zapco

Helix

Brax

Any of those three are fantastic. The new JL amps are pretty nice too, but stay away from JL speakers.

imported_dl9589
10-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Imade Dynamics IDQ series for subs - the only way to go, if you`re on a budget. Plenty loud, great response, great sound.

Not the only way to go. eD`s A series sub, RE XXX, Magnum...there are plenty of choices other than ID. The eD A series has just as good SQ and more SPL, I know this much first hand as I`ve listened to both an awful lot and decided on the eD sub for over all quality and price.:up

imported_Greg
10-03-2003, 05:38 PM
check out www.thezeb.com

I like the CDT`s for speakers.

boywonder
10-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Source Components:

I am quite picky when it comes to audio components. However, Blaupunkt is not one of my personal faves because, IMHO, their head units have a great deal of distortion. I would look at Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, and Clarion

Amplifiers:

Look at a/d/s, JL Audio, Orion, Precision Power, Rockford Fosgate (Power Series, not Punch), Phoenix Gold, Soundstream, Zapco, and Crossfire

Speakers:

Boston Acoustics, JL Audio, a/d/s, Eclipse, CDT, Dynaudio, Diamond Audio, Polk Audio, JBL

Subwoofers:

MA Audio, Image Dynamics, JL Audio, a/d/s, Alpine (R Series), Eclipse (Ti Series), JBL

If you want an idea, check out the plans for mine (http://maxima.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=125771&page=3)

imported_dl9589
10-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by PrinzII

Source Components:

I am quite picky when it comes to audio components. However, Blaupunkt is not one of my personal faves because, IMHO, their head units have a great deal of distortion. I would look at Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, and Clarion

Amplifiers:

Look at a/d/s, JL Audio, Orion, Precision Power, Rockford Fosgate (Power Series, not Punch), Phoenix Gold, Soundstream, Zapco, and Crossfire

Speakers:

Boston Acoustics, JL Audio, a/d/s, Eclipse, CDT, Dynaudio, Diamond Audio, Polk Audio, JBL

Subwoofers:

MA Audio, Image Dynamics, JL Audio, a/d/s, Alpine (R Series), Eclipse (Ti Series), JBL

If you want an idea, check out the plans for mine (http://maxima.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=125771&page=3)

For subs you may want to add edesign Audio, Resonant engineering, Adire, Magnum, etc...all are on par with the ones you listed. Not sure if Alpine belongs in there with the rest though.

Also, another set of componants to look at are Focal.

Other HU`s to look at are Nakamichi, and Denon. If your going to be running an external amplifier, which I would highly recommend, then distortion in the HU won`t matter.

boywonder
10-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Aurora, The reason I didn`t list Focal and the other brands you mentioned is that he`s working with $1,000.

I will admit that you have good taste in components like I do. ;)

But the Alpine Type R series subs are pretty good.

What do you think of the system I am going to throw in the `03 Max?

imported_dl9589
10-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Looks good to me. The only suggestion I`d offer is looking into different subs...there`s so many other companies out there that make subs that will outperform (or keep up with) the W6 for half the price, but if you listened to them and they sounded good to you then go for it!

Elemental Designs (http://www.edesignaudio.com) Look into their "A" series line of subs. I`m running the 12" A and it`s as loud as the JL W7 and sounds just as good if your into SQ, which is what I bought it for...and it`s about 1/3 the price of the W7

Stereo Integrity (http://www.stereointegrity.com) Look at the Magnum D2 sub...again, will compete with the W7 in all aspects at about half the price.

But, like I said...if you listened to all of what you picked out and it sounds good to you then that`s what counts. Just wanted to let you know there are cheaper (money wise) options available.:xyxthumbs

boywonder
10-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Do the two subs you suggested require the same wattage as the W7? I know it takes 1000 watts plus to run a W7