PDA

View Full Version : Newbie : How much to charge?

outdoorsr
09-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Hello all.

A friend of mine has a Mercedes and would like it polished and protected. What is the going rate for such things?

gnahc79
09-25-2003, 05:41 PM
It depends :). What you do, how long it takes, how good of a job you do, where you live etc etc. Professional places around here start at $200-$300 for a detail, so I have no problem charging $100.

if it`s your friend, why are you charging a fee :)? I usually just exchange services/favors.

Preachers Sheets
09-25-2003, 05:41 PM
If your going to be picky about the job and spend all day I would charge 200.00

I`m expensive but it`s a hobby to me, not a living.

outdoorsr
09-25-2003, 05:51 PM
I would exchange service possibly but, can`t really think of any service he can provide in return.....:rolleyes:

100-200 was what I was thinking also.

Detailing NY
09-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Funny, i run into this all the time. Friends come by for a detail, you feel funny charging them, but remember business is business.

You do not have to charge them full price but your time and services are worth something.

If you friend was willing to help with the detail and he brings some BBQ and you make a cool day out of it, then i would not charge as it would be like hanging out. If he drops it off and picks it up later in the day I would charge him.

Friends and Family can be the worst customers!!!

Scottwax
09-25-2003, 11:09 PM
It depends on the area of the country. Both the east and left coast are higher than the middle of the country.

Patrick
09-26-2003, 09:41 PM
I agree with some of the above points, however, could you be doing another detail ? How much is your time worth. Proper detailing is no easy task, but you can make it fun. Its nice seeing something mediocre turn into a beautiful machine. Maybe you could have him fill up your gas tank for you ? Send your wife or honey some roses/flowers...etc....Theres always a way a friend can repay, without hurting their feelings by asking for something in return......Today was a good example for me....I have a friend who called last night, said his father got road paint all over his 03 Crown Vic......I called him back this morning, told him i would take care of it no charge. But for me, its a payback, he stores my 25` Fleetwood Terry Travel Trailer for me.....he scratches my back by storing my trailer, I scratched his by taking care of his dads 03 Crown Vic......He called me later today and said his father was totally surprised by my results.....Maybe I end up being ahead on this one, sure it took me 1.5 hrs, $60.00 worth of work if it was someone I didnt know, but now I have two more people who can vouch for my work ! Sometimes its even good to do one or two for free, just to maintain your status as a valuable detailer....;)