PDA

View Full Version : Using DACP and PC- want to be sure I have it right

imported_Aaron in Denver
09-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Ok, so I`ve gotten some DACP to attack the swirls on the Boxster.

I want to be sure I have the application method right.

When I apply it with the PC, I should continue to buff it until it hazes, then fades away completely and the product turns to dust. Is this correct? It`s not like hand waxing where you apply, dry to a haze, and then buff off (depending on the product).

I just want to be sure that I`m not making a big mistake by polishing the DACP off almost completely with a foam pad, then finishing any residue with MF.

Also, when using DACP, should I let just the weight of the PC do the work, or apply pressure too? And lastly, if I apply and still have the swirls, should I hit it again with the DACP, or move on to something else? My thought at this point is that going over with the same product would not improve anything if it didn`t do enough the first time over.

I may be over thinking this, but I just don`t want to make any major errors here. Minor ones I`m hopeful that I can fix.

Thanks again for the replies to my other post on this! :)

imported_Aaron in Denver
09-25-2003, 04:06 PM
I just re-read Geeky Steve`s Roadfly guide on the PC. Answered some of my own questions.

If I am happy with the DACP results, then I can go straight to what I want to use on a regular basis, right? I plan on using the Klasse twins topped with Souveran.

My photo post even worked! Not a bad day.:wavey

blackntan
09-25-2003, 04:09 PM
With DACP, you MUST keep going til it`s just about gone. The breakdown and heat generated by the extended time is what makes DACP work. Let the weight of the PC work, and move it slowly around. Do small sections, like 1/2 of each panel at a time, then clean the residue off and have a look. Each time you do it, you will remove more swirls, but if you`re not having any luck, you`ll need a more aggressive product. PI-III is my current fav.

I`ve spent 3-5 minutes on each panel the first time I did mine, but that was after the dealer washed the car with what seemed to be a bag of broken glass, and I got 95% of the swirls out the first time.

ntwrkguy1
09-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Aaron,

Hopefully the DACP will do the trick. It usually does for me, unless the swirls are incredibly bad. On the first pass, I would apply moderate pressure, and work the DACP until it`s almost gone. If you are using a foam polishing pad, there`s really no danger in doing so. After that, remove the remaining residue with a microfiber towel. I`d say 90% of the time, the polishing pad/DACP combo is enough to remove any and all swirls. If that isn`t the case, I`d first try another pass with a bit more pressure. The best strategy is to use the least aggressive combination to solve your problem. Best of luck!

DavidM

blackntan
09-25-2003, 04:10 PM
PS: Love the car.

lexite
09-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Cool car! You seem to have invisible (somewhat) bra on your hood something like x-pel stuff. What is it?

Deanski
09-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Aaron,

You COULD go straight to wax, but if you want the best shine, you should step down to a finer polish. You could use Megs SFP or #9 then go even one more step with Hand Polish (yes it can be used with a PC).

Most swirl removal with DACP is done with a cutting pad. That pad, foam as it may be still imparts at times, depending on how long it`s on the finish and how hot will induce a slight haze. You could step down to a polish pad, but why not use what the polish pad is for? Use it for a good polish after DACP cutting. I`ve used all types: 3M PIII-MG, Megs SFP/#9, Megs Hand Polish, Menzerna-FP etc.

You will get better results with each time you step down in polish. Yes it`s more work, but if you want that shine, it`s well worth it and maybe necessary if it gets hazed.

As for the paint protection film, I`m sure you are aware to keep that PC off of it! Just clean it with any good plastic polish and wax over it if you want to. I have one on my Lexus SC430!

BTW: NICE RIDE!:xyxthumbs

Regards,

Deanski

weegee
09-25-2003, 05:26 PM
I can tell you that GEPC applied with a white (polishing) pad after a SMR or DACP gives you an unbelievable shine.

The thing is, if you`re following with Klasse twins, Im not sure if you would use the GEPC before the AIO or after. I know if you use it after, you have to wash the car before applying SG.

P.S. what speed setting should you use with the DACP and cutting pad. Maybe like a 4.5/5?

Deanski
09-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Well since the DACP was really designed for rotary use, but can also be used with a PC, I run mine on the high side, but use the DACP in small amounts. I want to develop the heat close to a rotary before it breaks and as it does break. This way it emulates as close as possible to a rotary w/o the risk of swirls induced from the one direction of a rotary. A good "finger" cutting pad also works very well! I `finger" the finish.:p

Regards,

Deanski

imported_Aaron in Denver
09-26-2003, 07:56 AM
lexite-

We did have a 3m clear bra installed on the car. It is pretty obvious in the picture,but as time goes on it`s less noticeable.

I figured it was a good investment. That long low nose is a magnet for any pebble on the road.

Thanks for the compliments! So far it is everything I had hoped it would be!:D

mx5gary
09-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by blackntan

.... PI-III is my current fav.

Which flavor for PI-III are we talking about thats comparable to DACP?

Deanski
09-26-2003, 05:05 PM
I`ve used 3M PIII-MG with good results but swirls have to not as heavy, or you`ll be doing it again.

The DACP does it quicker, and then I follow with 3M PIII-MG, then Menzerna-FP or Megs SFP and Megs HP for a mirror shine.

I too have a clear bra (Armoglove) all over the SC430! Just don`t touch it with any polish except plastic polish and only by hand. as you probably know, it can be waxed over.

Give the DACP a try with the cutting pad. I find the "finger" pads work really well. Use it sparingly, too much DACP and it`s a bear to remove once broken down to the dry powder.

Have fun and post some pics when done!

Regards,

Deanski