PDA

View Full Version : How do colder weather detailers clean the snow from their car?

rdtjr
09-25-2003, 12:30 PM
With the all the attention paid to issues like brands of MF towels, it is difficult for me to envision you all attacking 6" of snow and ice on your car with brush and a scraper.

Any tips, besides moving to So Cal?

2wheelsx2
09-25-2003, 12:34 PM
I think Taxlady made a MF cover for her brush last year. Looked pretty good. A search will probably bring up that thread.

SK2003TypeS
09-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Yeah, this was a slick idea

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=935&papass=&sort=1

When I have 6" of snow on the car I use my arm and slowly sweep the snow off layer by layer. The only thing I use a brush for is the windows.

mlebarron
09-25-2003, 01:23 PM
I usually do the same as SK2003... brush most of it off by hand... if it`s really light snow sometimes I just do the windshield and drive around and let it get blown off..

I`ve only been forced to chip away at any painted section twice... both times after severe ice storms left a quarter inch of ice around my entire car... boy do I wish I had it in the garage that night

Spilchy
09-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Did you see the episode of American Choppers on the Discovery Channel when Paul Sr. and Paul Jr. used shovels to wipe the snow off the cars? They were actually making contact and raking the sides, roof, hood and trunk with metal and plastic shovels.

kg/cm²
09-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Did you see the episode of American Choppers on the Discovery Channel when Paul Sr. and Paul Jr. used shovels to wipe the snow off the cars? They were actually making contact and raking the sides, roof, hood and trunk with metal and plastic shovels.

:p ...heh...i saw that episode...first thing that i thought of was that if anyone on autopia saw it too...gave me shivers...

imported_edschwab1
09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
I use a snow broom. I clean the windows and horizontal body parts, but leave an inch or two of snow on the body. I just let the remainder blow off as I drive.

Eric

endus
09-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

I almost pooped myself when I saw that!

As far as snow removal I MUST make an MF brush...great idea. It really depends on what type of snow/ice it is...sometimes just driving around can be worse than taking it off yourself if there are large sheets of ice. In terms of straight snow though I think the brush most of it and let the rest blow off method is sound.

medic159
09-25-2003, 09:08 PM
I saw that too! I was in shock!

My solution for getting rid of the snow is to keep the car in the garage! Also, you can do things like place carboard over the windshield, all you need do is remove it with the snow and you have a nice clean windshield. On body work I remove by hand or leave it there.

Oh, I just remembered that when I lived in NH I used to place an old flannel bedsheet over the car when it snowed. Just slide the sheet off and the snow comes with it!

markmando
09-26-2003, 12:31 PM
Leaf blowers work well if the snow hasn`t set there too long.

they `re also great for driveways.

rdtjr
09-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

Gotta make me one of those MF brushes. The car is garage kept at home and work but it will be out and about on evenings and weekends as I have only one car. Once again, you all are the best.

Preachers Sheets
09-26-2003, 02:06 PM
I just wait for the snow to melt before I drive the car.

This winter I`ll have a storage bay so the car won`t see rain, sleet, snow or salt!