PDA

View Full Version : zaino on top of meg #26?

Sheepbalz
09-25-2003, 09:44 AM
I have been washing my car frequently and using meguiars #26 during the summer and whatnot and with winter fastly approaching I want to switch to something more durable as I will be limited to touchless carwashes :/ It gets to cold in Wisconsin to wash my car in the drive way. I was thinking about putting a couple coats of z5 followed by z2 soon. Would it be alright to put that on top of the #26 thats already on the car or should i do a dawn wash to get rid of the #26?

fidelfs
09-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Yes, You have to . #26 is a wax so Z won`t bond into your paint.

:)

topnotchtouch
09-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Have you considered Meguairs #20 polymer sealant or Meguiars Medallion Premium Paint Protection? They are both polymer blends and will work fine over #26. They won`t last quite as long as Zaino but, will outlast #26.

jeremyp111
09-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Yeah, in order to put on the zaino you will have to wash with dawn to get rid of the wax on your car. Then you can apply zaino. I would also recommend claying prior to the zaino just to get it nice and clean. The zaino will seal your paint really well and you don`t want to seal any contaminants in.

Good luck,

JP

Deanski
09-25-2003, 01:14 PM
A must read for those intending to use Zaino. It is well written and has some very good info.

Zaino tips by Nick (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23601&highlight=Zaino+tips)

As they all said, you HAVE to strip the wax and oils off the finish for Zaino to bond and crosslink on the finish. Otherwise, it will come off as fast as the #26 that`s on it, as it will lay ontop without a proper bond to the finish below.

You could try the Megs #20 sealant or the PPP, all good tuff sealants. The #20 does have light cleaners in it to remove anything so it too can bond. The PPP is a mix of poly resin and wax, so it too can be applied over whatever you have now.

Zaino is a bit more unforgiving. It needs a sterile clean finish to work correctly.

Regards,

Deanski