PDA

View Full Version : Wavy paint?. Need advice..

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mantic6t9
09-25-2003, 02:42 AM
It looks like someone used some sort of buffer on my paint and i can see "waves" in it. I need advice on how to remove them. Do you think a simple SMR would get rid of them or would i need something more abrasive? I may be able to snap a pic tomorrow to show you guys what i`m talking about.

I`m thinking about buying a PC, 1 yellow pad, 2 white pads, and maybe 1-2 grey pads. Would you recomend Top of the line pads?

Accumulator
09-25-2003, 10:52 AM
The "waves" could be anything from orange peel to (more likely) rotary-inflicted damage. *I* would be surprised if you can fix them with a PC, but if you can, yeah, you`ll need something stronger than SMR. Sounds like a job for a rotary (highly skilled operator mandatory).

TOL`s pads are fine. *I* would get more than you think you`ll need, as "things happen" ;)

Razmo
09-25-2003, 11:06 AM
I would guess a PC won`t do you much good. I would suggest talking to the guys at Properautocare.com. Ask for Phil..

:xyxthumbs

Mantic6t9
09-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Hmmm............ Not what i wanted to hear. It seems that only the hood has this damage. If the PC wont fix it would it atleast make it less noticable? You can only see it in direct sun light and you have to look at it at an angle.

Razmo
09-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Did you buy the car used? Has the hood been repainted?

Razmo
09-25-2003, 01:00 PM
When you say "waves" do you mean wavy paint? Or do you mean as you are walking back and forth past the hood in direct sunlight you see waves of fine looking scratches in the paint?

Mantic6t9
09-25-2003, 01:04 PM
It`s definatly from the use of a rotary buffer. I`m sorry i didn`t make that clearer.

Razmo
09-25-2003, 01:29 PM
You should easily be able to REMOVE them with a Porter Cable. I would recommend using Menzerna Intensive polish. It needs to be applied with an orange cutting pad. This should work! You can even finish it off with Menzena Final Polish. Then apply the wax to seal it.

Visit the Properautocare.com. Click on Exterior care. Then click on Compounds, polishes and Waxes, then click on the FIRST item about "what the difference" Read on and learn. They have intructions for application also. Menzera works wonders!!! They have a "get aquainted" kit for 20.00 I think.

Not to confuse you but you may be able to get away with simply setting your PC BETWEEN 3.5 & 4. (the same setting while using INTENSIVE) Apply Menzerna FINAL polish with a advanced white foam pad. This may also do the trick also.

Nick

imported_Intermezzo
09-25-2003, 02:20 PM
I agree. A PC and a light compound should take care of it. Dealers are notorious for compounding with a car and then skipping the polishing or finishing step.

If you see on the thread below, TortoiseAWD was able to remove compounding swirl-marks using 3M FI-II and a PC.

Weekend project: Ford F150 SuperCrew (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3776)

Razmo
09-25-2003, 02:28 PM
The truck came out looking beutiful! BUT do you have an after shots in DIRECT SUNLIGHTING like the first two?

Mantic6t9
09-25-2003, 02:45 PM
WoW... I feel so much better now after seeing the results on that truck. The hood of my m3 isn`t that bad so i``m hopeing for the best. Is costaltool.com the best place to order a PC they want $119 + shipping i imagine.

Razmo
09-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Don`t know but I have seen them with it`s own storage case. Kinda wish I had one..

Preachers Sheets
09-25-2003, 03:21 PM
A mild polish followed up by Klasse All In One always works for me.

blackntan
09-25-2003, 03:46 PM
I got my car back from the body shop last week with marks similar to those in the linked post.

The PC and PI-III got em all out. No problems at all. You should be very hopeful about your car`s recovery!

I like the one at www.properautocare.com. You get the chance to order the pads with it too.

I was too impatient and needed instant gratification, and got the 7336SP from my local Lowes for $109, then ordered the pads from CMA. I spent more, but got everything I wanted.

G`luck!

Mantic6t9
09-26-2003, 12:37 AM
Yeah i want to buy one with the velcro backing included that way all i need are the pads. So is $120 the cheapest i can find for the PC?

I tried to take pics of my paint but my camera couldn`t pick up the damage very well.