PDA

View Full Version : How often can I use vanilla moose

m3pilot
09-24-2003, 09:34 PM
or a comprable product such as pinnacle pcl without worrying about damaging the clear coat? I am am currently using souveran and after applying three coats intially, add coat of sourveran each month. I usually apply vanilla moose about every 3 months with a pc to get rid of any swirls or fine scratches that appear since the car is black. Am I using vanilla moose too often since it has abrasives?

Scottwax
09-24-2003, 11:11 PM
None of those products has a lot of abrasives. With your level of usage, I highly doubt it will affect the clear coat over the useful life of the car.

I`ve used Vanilla Moose, S100 SEC, Meguiars Machine Glaze #3 and Hand Polish #81 on my Accord 4-6 times a year for the 8 years I`ve had the car (it was 5 years old when I bought it) and only now is the clear coat on the roof showing deterioration and I am quite sure it is more because it is outside in the sun pretty much 24/7 year round since it was new (the original owner did not have covered parking at work) than any products I`ve used on it.

I`ve been detailing a 1995 Lexus LS400 since it was new, polishing and waxing it every 3 months and the paint is just as glossy and deep looking as his coworker`s brand new LS430.

Accumulator
09-25-2003, 10:48 AM
What Scottwax said :xyxthumbs . I`ve used PPCL for MANY years and I`ve experimented with both it and VM on VERY soft single-stage paint (easy to see what`s happening). I too believe they`re too mild to cause problems.

Of course, using ANY abrasive product too much will eventually thin/compromise the clear (disclaimer ;) ), but with products like that it`d take a LOOONG time.

*I* always wonder how you guys remove swirls with products like those, in *MY* experience, they`re too mild for that.

fidelfs
09-25-2003, 12:34 PM
jpws6 : Good timing I was going to ask the same thing.

Thanks!

:up

Scottwax
09-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

*I* always wonder how you guys remove swirls with products like those, in *MY* experience, they`re too mild for that.

Which is why I consider DACP and Swirl Free Polish to be indespensible to me.

Accumulator
09-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Which is why I consider DACP and Swirl Free Polish to be indespensible to me.

OK, I`ll BET they`re indespensible! [Accumulator shudders at the thought of doing Scottwax`s stuff by hand]

I *THOUGHT* I remembered that you once took scratches off a black BMW with VM. From where the owner leaned on it/put his feet on it or something similar. Or maybe that was someone else :nixweiss Hard for me to remember all this stuff :o