PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

slackerme
09-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone, I have 2 simple questions that i havent been sure on. Everyone i ask they tell me something different. Ok

1. i wanted to know if using dawn to get off all the old wax on your car and adding new wax was bad for the car even if i were to use it once every 3 weeks.

2. Some people tell me clay bar is bad to use for your car too much because it takes layers of clearcoat off every time it is used and others say its perfectly fine. HERES THE WUESTION

I wanted to know if it really is bad to use it like once a month how however much and if so why is it and finaly what does it do to take all the micro things off your paint

Thanks a lot guys

DAN

Jngrbrdman
09-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Using Dawn once every three weeks is not a good idea. Why would you want to remove all the wax every three weeks anyway? If you are going to use Dawn then it should only be when you are starting over and intend to clay and polish too.

Clay does not remove any clear coat at all. All it is doing is removing the surface contamination. Its like silly putty. All that does is remove the ink off a newspaper. Paper itself is untouched. The only damage from claying too much that could occur is that you could introduce all kinds of micro scratches from the clay. Again, claying is not something that should be done frequently. Only as needed and it shouldn`t be needed very often. 2 or 3 times a year should be good for 90% of people out there. Many just get away with once. It depends on where you live and what kind of contamination gets on your paint that polishing won`t remove.

Accumulator
09-24-2003, 06:36 PM
Yeah, using Dawn that often is a bad idea and not necessary anyhow.

While Jngrbrdman and I are on opposite sides of the "frequency of claying" issue, his Silly Putty analogy is GREAT :xyxthumbs

*I* spot-clay with most every wash and it doesn`t cause any problems *FOR ME*. But I`m VERY gentle about it, and I have a LOT of protection on all my vehicles. The clay is just cleaning the top layer of SG or whatever.