PDA

View Full Version : preping for winter in jersey

acl99
09-24-2003, 01:56 PM
ah winters right around the cornor and its about time i give my car its first complete detail and well, this is the first complete detail ill be doing! So if anyone has any tips or advice it would be greatly appreachated.

The girlfriend is buying me a PC for the birthday comming up so im planning on doing this around mid-october, im also ordering the cma pad kit to go along with the pc.

Heres my plan of attack.

dawn wash

clay

dawn wash

Menzerna Intensive Polish (PC)

Menzerna Final Polish (PC)

klasse AIO (PC)x2

Klasse SG (hand) x2

my maintance will be a weekly washing followed by a QD and every other washing with another layer of SG (NJ is DIRTY, and NJ winters are worse!) so i want as much protection as possible. I will be using s100 as a topper in spring/summer, but For the winter its all about protection.

Now i have a few questions! What QD works best with klasse? i have mothers QD but i will change to something that works better with klasse if someone suggests it.

Again this the my first time using any of these products, (i was just using the 3 step mothers system before i found this community). SO this will be a learning experience and a ton of fun. I promise ill writeup about my experience with a ton of pictures when the time comes. sorry for such a long post! any advice is welcome and apprechated.

:)

Accumulator
09-24-2003, 02:05 PM
The following QD`s have worked well *FOR ME* with KSG: Quik Shine, BF, Sonus, and, to a less impressive extent, Meg`s #34 (final inspection).

Pats300zx
09-24-2003, 02:36 PM
I have also used Eagle One Wipe and Shine with no issues on KSG.

Spilchy
09-24-2003, 02:48 PM
You`ll do a weekly washing in Jersey in the winter? Where?! Do you mean you`ll take it to an automatic car wash? If it`s all about protection for you, top with Collinite InsulatorWax or Collinite 476s detergent proof wax. It`ll hold up to the car wash.

I`m in Jersey and there is no way in the dead of winter that I can work on my car. I use the Collinite and it works great.

I only work on my wheels with warm water and kitchen gloves! I take it to the car wash and close my eyes while the car goes through. I make them hose it down well before it goes in and NEVER have them touch the wheels.

Oh, be sure to wax your wheels too! You can use that Collinite I spoke of or your AIO topped with SG. Don`t forget that!

Bill D
09-24-2003, 03:06 PM
What about QEW? I just bought a gallon in prep for the winter. Will see how it fairs on my A4. It will likely be a constant ritual EVERY day in winter.

I have to get some fresh gas in my Caddy and add Stabil soon. I`m very glad I can get it inspected two months before its actually due ( Dec). :) Just checked with DMV. That car doesn`t see bad weather. It gets parked on tire cradles, covered and zipped close in its car jacket in the garage :) Usually around March it comes out of hibernation but who knows with the awful winter last year. I`m itching to get out of Jersey :)

Spilchy
09-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

What about QEW? I just bought a gallon in prep for the winter. Will see how it fairs on my A4. It will likely be a constant ritual EVERY day in winter.

I have to get some fresh gas in my Caddy and add Stabil soon. I`m very glad I can get it inspected two months before its actually due ( Dec). :) Just checked with DMV. That car doesn`t see bad weather. It gets parked on tire cradles, covered and zipped close in its car jacket in the garage :) Usually around March it comes out of hibernation but who knows with the awful winter last year. I`m itching to get out of Jersey :)

Where in Jersey are you?

Bill D
09-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Middlesex County. I really like that PAL Automotive in Piscataway :up

Spilchy
09-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Middlesex County. I really like that PAL Automotive in Piscataway :up

How cool! I don`t have a place like that near me. I order many things online and some other goodies at Strauss Automotive, Pep Boys, Target and KMart all within 10 minutes of my home.

acl99
09-24-2003, 08:11 PM
well im gona keep the water running outside as long as i can without risk of freezing the pipes. Theres an auto car wash near me that i think keeps the preasure wash self serve bay open year round. im from middlesex too bill D, im getting depressed just thinking bout the over salted and sanded road right now.:sosad

dmarcus48
09-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Where is that PAL automotive? What do they carry? I`m in Edison and would really like to hear about a store close by.

acl99
09-24-2003, 09:44 PM
doh quick question! after the FP should i do a 50/50 alcohol wipedown, or will the aio be able to do its job without a wipedown?

Bill D
09-24-2003, 09:58 PM
PAL is on Stelton Rd. across from a golf driving range. D Marcus, a stone`s throw away from you. They carry many things you could only get online. Load of Meg`s and 3m stuff in huge containers. Also an Auto Magic dealer.

I`m going to try that qew this winter. the thought of going through any commercial car wash with a black car gives me the shakes :scared

Bill D
09-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Here I am parked at Pal

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3732&papass=&sort=1