PDA

View Full Version : car cover How affective??

imported_rcomito
09-24-2003, 04:07 AM
How affective are care covers at keeping off rain, dust, sap, sun and other contaminates?

I may be moving to an apartment where I need to park out side and I will have to get a car cover. Is it hard on a cars paint if you use one all the time? Where can I get the best cover for my car, I live in Los Angeles.

Thanks

butchdave
09-24-2003, 05:33 AM
To be honest, I really wouldn`t recommend a cover for use outside. Inside a dust cover, maybe OK but outside the wind etc causes them to rub against the paintwork, never mind about when you put them on and take them off.

If you think how paranoid most Autopians are about what sort of cloth they will allow to touch their paintwork especially if the paintwork has not just been cleaned then you have to wonder why anyone would use a car cover - an MF car cover anyone?

imported_zenhog
09-24-2003, 07:06 AM
I had a camaro with a custom paint job that had to spend too much time outside and got a car cover. Had a very good experience with it. Be careful to get a good one though - $300 isn`t too much to spend - and the key is what do they use on the inside of the cover, and making sure you don`t get dirt in there.

When you think about it it`s a better alternative than what is going to be landing on the car when left totally exposed for long periods of time.

C

Sci-Fi
09-24-2003, 11:58 AM
I have used a car cover daily over the years without a problem. Custom fit car covers, the ones with the mirror pockets, are usually recommended to help prevent the billowing and slapping from the wind. Would look at covers made of Evolution4, Noah, Superweave, Sunbrella, UltraGuard, or Weathershield materials. I use an Evolution4 cover and it stops all the bird bombs from getting to my paint and I only have to water hose the mess off.

Can do a search on car covers and price shop. Some online companies offer free shipping (CarBytes: http://www.carbytes.com/ ). California Car Cover Co. is located at 9525 DeSoto Avenue in Chatsworth.

forrest@mothers
09-24-2003, 12:02 PM
I use covers indoor and out, and have never had a problem.

The trick is to CCD then QD the car before installing the cover, and use the cable/lock to prevent cover theft.

I use Evolution 4 for outdoor use, and Dustop for indoor use. Both materials are made by Kimberly Clark. Invest in a quality custom fit cover that fits well for best results.

Bill D
09-24-2003, 03:16 PM
I second what Forrest said.

I will use a cover religiously when away from home. I have both a Noah and a Weathershield: The Noah for weight and ding protection, the Weathershield for rain repellancy. Plus, its machine washable at home :) :up (Also got the car jacket for my Sunday driver :) )

In high winds I just attach a long bungee cord through the loops in the cover and "lasso" it through underneath the car. Never had any problems with wind pushing the cover up since the covers are custom made for the car.

Definitely must dust and qd very throughly before using the cover. It can take me 1/2 hr some times.

I will never do without a cover. A cover saved a car I had from a wild cat(?).

Here is cheapest place I`ve found covers, I have ordered 4 from them with excellent service. The covers come shipped directly from the Covercraft factory:

http://www.websweeper.com

luvthong
09-25-2003, 06:28 PM
I parked my car outside, what kind of material is good, I am in N Cali so the winter wearther can get very rainy and windy. I want something which can shed water and dust and beatheable and of course, do not scratch the paint. Thanks!

Bill D
09-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Sounds like Weathershield is a good choice. Although it`s light, you could strap it securely with a bungee cord with no problems.

forrest@mothers
09-26-2003, 09:01 AM
For outside, if ding protection is a concern, I`d suggest Evolution (4 layers thick) or NOAH (3 layers).

Both have outstanding environmental protection as well.