PDA

View Full Version : Micromarring and black.... arrrghhh.

neoprufrok
09-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Well, after three coats of KSG, I`ve realized something. That the car is almost completely swirl free, but only under direct sunlight is one problem present: what appears to be hazing is actually micromarring when viewed closely.

Not sure why this happens, but I`m starting to think it is just something you normally can`t see with other colors, but under direct sunlight on black, it`s clear.

I use new MF`s, terry cloth applicator pads, the properautocare cotton mitts, and a two bucket method, so I`m not sure where this is coming from.

Any ideas?

DETAILKING
09-23-2003, 09:19 PM
It`s in the paint and completely normal. Black has that effect under direct sunlight. Get used to it unless you plan on a 10K + custom paint job. I usually live with it if it looks good under normal light with the naked eye.....

rd_volvo
09-23-2003, 09:30 PM
The micro marring you see may be what is sometimes called crosslinking. I found this to be true for every polymer I ever bought.

Try this if you like : glaze and carnauba one small part of your car like the rear pillar or half the trunk lid and compare the polymer side to carnauba side for the crosslinking. In direct sunlight I bet will get crosslinking on the polymer side but not the carnauba side.

I think carnauba may be better for dark cars.

rd

DETAILKING
09-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by rd_volvo

The micro marring you see may be what is sometimes called crosslinking. I found this to be true for every polymer I ever bought.

Try this if you like : glaze and carnauba one small part of your car like the rear pillar or half the trunk lid and compare the polymer side to carnauba side for the crosslinking. In direct sunlight I bet will get crosslinking on the polymer side but not the carnauba side.

I think carnauba may be better for dark cars.

rd

I think what you are referring too is marring of the sealant layer. I have observed this in Zaino when the car is taken through a few auto washes or dirty or non cotton towels are used on it. The swirl you see are actually in the sealant layer and not in the clearcoat. Zaino Z5 does an excellent job of filling this in with a fresh coat when the sealant layer gets marred

In comparison, a carnuba product hides swirls with the oils in the formulation. Once those oils evaporate, or are washed off the marks return

Use which method works best for your application

Jesstzn
09-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Terry cloth applicators might not be helping you also. I am a black car owner and a Zaino user and application direction with it is very key. Apply ONLY back and forth not circular and on the hood/trunk apply one coat front to back then one side to side .. this will increase the Z5 effectiveness.

I also found that Glanz Wax doesn`t suffer from the marring you speak of nor does it haze on black cars like most carnubas.