PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba or SG?

Pages : [1] 2

Classy Detail
09-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Should I use carnuba or SG after AIO? I heard that carnuba makes a wet look effect than SG. If I go with carnuba or any sealant available out there, what brand should I consider. I`m looking for the one that is easy to apply and buff off and will not stain black trims. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

scottabir
09-23-2003, 12:24 AM
This weekend I put on the Klasse/SG combo and was really impressed, but I have to say It looks outstanding with P21s as a topper!

scottabir
09-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Oh yeah, the P21s did not stain the trim either.

Jngrbrdman
09-23-2003, 12:28 AM
You should do both. The SG will provide shine and protection for months compared to the carnauba lasting for a few weeks. SG will last you for 4 or 5 months compared to a wax lasting for 5 or 6 weeks. SG is a polished rock kind of shine and carnauba softens it and adds that wet look. Use them both. You don`t need to choose.

Accumulator
09-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Classy Detail- As scottabir and Jngrbrdman have said, you don`t really have to choose between SG and wax. Use the SG and top with wax a) when you have enough SG layers to satisfy yourself that it`s protected and b) to see what the difference looks like on YOUR paint.

*I* ALWAYS apply SG after AIO*. I`m not sure where this "AIO by itself/topped with wax" trend came from...it USED to be primarily a time-saving technique for situations where there was no time (or insufficient interest in the final result) to apply SG. AIO and SG just plain work well together.

If, for some reason (appearance preference) you want to use something else, like BFII or Platinum, that`s a different story. You could use AIO to clean the surface and then top with one of those, no problem. But I`m starting to think that even if I were to top AIO with one of those, I`d probably apply SG first- sorta a "why not?" situation. IMO, it`d be worth it for the SG`s protective qualities.

*One exception is when working with exterior trim. For that, I prefer AIO + BFII.

LouisanaJeeper
09-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Could I do AIO x2 or SG then top with Z2/ZFX? just curious if the Z would be able to bond with the AIO or SG below..

Jngrbrdman
09-23-2003, 12:01 PM
I know a couple people who use Z on top of AIO. There isn`t any reason to use more than one layer of AIO though. It does what it needs in one layer and cannont be layered on itself. Its a paint cleaner. It will strip anything under it so layering it is impossible.

centrefire114
09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
What is AIO and SG help the new guy here

Thanks

Jngrbrdman
09-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Look them up in the acronym link on the front page. They are cleaner and sealant products. :welcome to Auotpia and enjoy searching. :)

blackntan
09-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Quick question..

I thought the AIO was a combo of the SG and some cleaners? is this wrong?

I was going to skip the SG because of the difficulty of application and the finicky nature of the product. I`ve heard of it`s abnormaly long curing times as well, and I don`t have a garage, so I don`t have that kind of time.

I believed AIO to be a prep and sealer that was ideal to use before wax.

Thoughts?

2wheelsx2
09-23-2003, 05:58 PM
I wouldn`t say it had abnormal cure times for a sealant. Most of them state a minimum of 20 minutes, and the longer the better. Zaino used to be the same or longer until ZFX came along, and I think it`s still 20 minutes to an hour now.

Jngrbrdman
09-23-2003, 06:41 PM
The curing time is refering to the amount of time between coats. Nobody said that you have to garage the car for that amount of time. Just letting the product sit on the car for 45 minutes without buffing it off doesn`t require a garage. That`s not curing time; that`s drying time.

AIO is a paint cleaner. SG is a sealant. If AIO as any protection qualities to it then they are minimal and won`t last for long. SG is very very very different than AIO.

scottabir
09-23-2003, 06:45 PM
I used the AIO/SG combo for the first time this past weekend, and it really was a breeze if you follow the great post in the hall of fame.

blackntan
09-23-2003, 08:56 PM
jngrbrdman..

See, here`s the problem I have with what you`ve said, and here`s my confusion..

Here`s the paragraph from CMA:

Klasse All-In-One polishes away oxidation and leaves a deep acrylic shine that can last for 6 months or more. All-In-One is not a wax, silicone or polymer but an acrylic formula. It really is different. All-In-One bonds to the surface like a regular car wax but doesn’t penetrate or change the paint in any way. It matches the depth and clarity of a high quality carnauba wax but lasts much longer. Two applications a year (maybe just one) will keep your car looking great.

Deanski
09-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Ok, here`s more confusion... A test of waxes and a sealant.

Wax test (http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html)

Pretty interesting to read, but draw your own conclusions.

On another note. So, some of you just can`t get enough Klasse? How about a 3 litre bottle? That should keep some of us happy.

My advise is try a test on a quarter panel or hood, do one Klasse another wax. Go make up your mind and use that one. Or you could skip all this and just use Zaino :p

Regards,

Deanski