PDA

View Full Version : what happened if i accidentaly spray scotchguard on vinyl ?

chip douglas
09-22-2003, 09:24 PM
does it melt vinyl ? i heard that it could damage plastic(vinyl) but havent hear what it actually does and how long it takes.

Scottwax
09-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Actually, it will stop the Earth`s rotation, ending gravity and cause us all to float out into space, ending all life on Earth.

SO DON`T DO IT!

j/k (but I`m sure you knew that!). I have accidently got Scotchguard overspray on vinyl in the past and simply wiped it off with no ill effects.

chip douglas
09-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Holy jesus ! You stop me just in the nick of time of causing a worldwide catastrophy :scared.....good thing you warned me lol.

the thing about scotchguard is cause i once heard it could melt vinyl, but i hear a lot of things, some of them prolly have no good foundation so...

bunker
09-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Just make sure you don`t inhale the stuff. Open the doors and don`t breath the stuff.

Nasty

medic159
09-23-2003, 10:29 AM
First of all, where did you get it? It was taken off the market in 2000 because it is toxic.

It will do no harm to the vinyl, just wipe it off. However, there is really no reason to use it at all on automotive fabrics, they already have a coating.

Furniture manufacturers stopped using it because of it`s toxic properties. It constantly releases these toxins into the air. I really don`t think it`s a good idea to use it in an enclosed space like your car.

Me, I would stay very far away from that stuff! Do a Google search for "scotchguard toxic" and you`ll see what I mean.

imported_Dave Holmes
09-24-2003, 12:43 AM
I`ve gotten Scotchguard on my vinyl, and just wiped it off with no ill-effects.

I just looked at my can, and it was copyrighted by 3M in 2001. I still see it in all of the automotive stores I go to. The only health hazards listed are the pretty much standard ones about most aerosol products (flammable, vapors). but there is one about increasing myocardial irritability, so don`t administer adrenaline. Maybe they changed the formula in 2000.

I use Scotchguard in my car because of my wife and kids. Works very well at preventing stains. I always allow ample time for my car to really air out before driving. The smell of Scotchguard can be very overwhelming, but is undetectable (atleast by me) once it has fully dried.

I didn`t do a Google search, as I`ll trust DFTowel that it isn`t good for you. But I minimize my exposure to the vapors/wet product. Once dry, I don`t think it will kill me. But I could be wrong.

Dave

2wheelsx2
09-24-2003, 11:20 AM
This is the only reference I found in a google search. Scotchguard is still widely available up here in Canada.

"Toxic metals are the most common and significant exposure of children and the general public with the majority documented to have significant exposures(7,1-3). The most common exposure

to children is from mercury thimerosal in vaccinations where cumulative exposures are documented to have commonly exceeded Government health guidelines(3). Common additional exposures are from prenatal exposures to their mother and from breast milk due to maternal exposures along with exposures to lead from paint and plumbing, antimony from Scotchguard, arsenic from food and treated lumber, and nickel, cadmium, and aluminum from food and dental materials (1-3). The most common exposure of adults is mercury from dental fillings and fish, and lead from paint and plumbing(1,2). "

Based on this, we should paint our houses, eat fish, Scotchguard our fabrics, drink tap water, or go to the dentist!!!! :nixweiss

markmando
09-24-2003, 12:18 PM
actually its just tuna that has dangerous levels of mercury in it.

but someone got paid somewhere and the govt just says fish.

2wheelsx2
09-24-2003, 12:24 PM
It`s not just tuna. All predatory fish - salmon, trout, tuna, etc., etc. will have mercury problems, as mercury remains in the system a long time, and any higher food chain animal will cumulate the effects....but that was not my point. My point was that most of the chemicals (including insecticides, especially) will have carriers and other agents which are harmful. Smart usage is what it`s all about. Don`t lock yourself in the car and spray Scotchguard everywhere. Leave the doors open and let dry.

markmando
09-24-2003, 12:33 PM
what i meant was tuna has the highest levels out of all fish.

white albecore to be exact. yeah there`s mercury in other fish, but no where close to the levels in tuna.

anyways i ve used scotchgard for a while with no ill effects that i can (twich,twich) notice. and my dash looks great.