PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar,s Dual Action Polish on rainy days !!!

jUsTo HdZ
09-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Sorry to interupt you guys , but im applying Meguiars Dual Action Polish (DACP) and the weather is rainy. The car is inside my garage ,but its still humid , and im having trouble to remove residues. What should i do?

One more thing , is it possible to apply (DACP) to the complete car and remove any residues left at the end?

George Wax
09-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Here is a quick solution to your problem, to remove residues use your favorite qd in my case Final Inspection #34, spray onto residue and remove with micro-fiber wipe or terry cloth towel..This should take care of it..Do not do entire vehicle with DACP, product must be worked into paint surface by section`s to almost dry and removed immdediately with micro-fiber cloth..

jUsTo HdZ
09-22-2003, 04:36 PM
George : Thanks allot fo your tip, i really apreciate your patience with all us apprentice guys.

I´ll do what you recomend with DACP

And thats what i´ve been doing , applying it and removing immediately, i was just courious.

Thanks

LouisanaJeeper
09-22-2003, 05:35 PM
50/50 water/alcohol spray

this will remove any oils left behind unlike a QD

Deanski
09-22-2003, 06:46 PM
For DACP, you really need to get it to break down for best results. If you do, there should be no problem removing it. This is if you`re using a PC. By hand it`s a lot more work, but it can be done.

You shouldn`t have to resort to FI. Just let it get to a powder, then wipe.

Humidity is a pain, especially with #7!

Regards,

Deanski

topnotchtouch
09-22-2003, 07:26 PM
You really need to work DACP until you see it start to leave a powdery residue behind then wipe. If you do manage to miss some and come back later to find it harder than concrete I would avoid the urge to rub it off even with QD or Alcohol. I have scratched my paint more than once doing that. I usually use #9, it will remove it with ease then you just wipe off the #9. This is the easiest way I have found which minimizes any chances of scratching.

Deanski
09-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Agreed, another fine way to remove it!

Thanks rjstaff for that one:up Forgot that trick!

Regards,

Deanski

George Wax
09-22-2003, 07:42 PM
FYI:...M-83-32 Meguiar`s Dual Action Cleaner Polish is really designed to be used with a Rotary Buffer, and a cutting pad W-7006..However, I know a lot of people here have great success with it by using by hand or a PC..That is why somepeople have problem`s with the product when using by hand or PC..If you call Meguiar`s Inc..They will tell you the same thing..I for one use the product with a PC but I have found it take`s to long to breakdown sometime`s..With my rotary the product break`s down in a matter of second`s the way it`s suppose to...RJSTAAF..what you have stated is exactly why Meguiar`s does not recommend this product to be used by hand or a PC..Just my thought`s on this product..

Deanski
09-22-2003, 08:26 PM
George,

Don`t take this the wrong way.

Sure you can call Megs.... get three different answers:p

In real world, yes DACP with a PC has a hard time to heat up. A rotary will heat it up much faster and if combined with a wool pad, you`re talking some serious swirl and paint defect correction in a hurry!

The PC just takes longer and if too much is used, you end up with a real mess. Use it sparingly, work it in really well. I speed up the PC to try to obtain a bit more bite and heat as I try to emulate a rotary with a foam cutting pad. A woll one would increase the heat, but in untrained hands, so does it add more problems.

Work small, break down and wipe off. That`s the trick with a PC. Too large an area, or too much product, you get poor results and more headaches!

Regards,

Deanski

George Wax
09-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Deanski, I know what you are trying to accomplish is valid with a PC and DACP,,, however,, if I was working for Meguiar`s, and a newbie asked me if it`s o-kay to use #83 with a PC, I would advise "no", and steer them in the direction of m-97-16 or Scratch X which are easier to use and safer on the paint finish if an "error was to happen..M-83-32, by it`s very nature of this product with it`s diminishing abrasive`s need`s the heat from a rotary buffer to properly break down..I know you can argue that a PC would eventually break down this product but it take`s long and is rather risky i.e. marring of the paint finish, light scratches, micro-scrathes..I know Scott Wax, has great success with breaking this product down by hand..but he is very experience using M-83, and the general public is not.. I am also not taking this the wrong way..

Deanski
09-22-2003, 09:24 PM
George,

How very true as to marring with DACP/PC combo. I hear this several times.

Although DACP is a great product in the right hands, there are other products that will produce the same effect as DACP with a PC or other Random Orbitals.

Yes Scottwax may work it by hand, and yes this is due to learning how the product reacts with a finish and type of application used. Too many people want to rush though this. Proper detailing does take experience and time to learn which products to use and which tool to use it with etc. Pretty much why Megs went with the consumer 3-step products. Designed for hand/PC for the weekend warrior enthusiasts. One product that works well for this is the Megs PPC. Nice chemical way of cleaning and removing light swirls without too much effort.

Normally, I use the DACP with a Makita 9227C rotary and a foam cutting pad, which makes quick work out of any defects without going to Diamond Cut.

Hell, I had the entire detailer line way back.. Acid Rain Correction Cream, CCC, and #26 in day-glow yellow. Loved the ARCC. Worked well even though it was thick. The CCC did a really nice job bringing a clearcoat to a high shine with little effort!

Regards,

Deanski

topnotchtouch
09-22-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by George Wax

RJSTAAF..what you have stated is exactly why Meguiar`s does not recommend this product to be used by hand or a PC..Just my thought`s on this product..

Actually if you read the bottles and much of Meguair`s literature they do recommend it for use by hand, orbital, dual action polisher and rotary.

I can see your point about a newbie using DACP incorrectly and causing paint damage. The problem is where do they go if MPPC, ScratchX and #9 do not solve the problem?? I can`t imagine someone jumping right to DACP without having first tried these other products. By telling them they shouldn`t use DACP you are putting up a dead end sign for them with the Meguiars line and they will likely move on to another line of products. People tend to ask around until they get the answer they want to hear.

Why not tell them how to properly use DACP with their PC? It does work just fine with the PC. Yes you do have to work it longer than you would with a rotary but, many of us successfully use DACP with a PC on a daily basis.

Scottwax
09-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Like others have pointed out, you need to completely break down DACP to be able to remove the residue easily. I use it by hand using folded terry cloth towels to apply it and I am able to work it hard enough to generate heat in the paint and towel, but I`ve also been doing this full time since April of 1994.

It is probably also why even though my older son can probably lift more weight than me now (I haven`t lifted in about 10 years) I can still pin his arm in arm wrestling in about 2-3 seconds...and he benches 240 and squats 450!

Superior Shine
09-24-2003, 01:19 AM
[

Hell, I had the entire detailer line way back.. Acid Rain Correction Cream, CCC, and #26 in day-glow yellow. Loved the ARCC. Worked well even though it was thick. The CCC did a really nice job bringing a clearcoat to a high shine with little effort!

[/B][/QUOTE]

remember #14, the pink stuff, I asked my Meg rep about it and he said "what is #14?!?!?" It was so old he didnt even know about it.