PDA

View Full Version : All these products

willbjew
09-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Ok, i did use the search button to look before i posted but didnt know excally what to type in. I know the basics of car detailing but all the abbreviations yall use confuse me.

1) Polish- what is it, can you use it too much, do u use it every job.
2) Sealant- same as above
3) what steps do you polish wax seal then what.
4) ssr 1, pwc, and EX. what is this.
5) i have a porter cable buffer for out boat but am not confortable using it on a clear coat till i clear up some questions.
6) i have been just washing drying the claying then just put some meguires glass class on it or Zymol.
7) What is mycro fibers and do they really help.

Thanks Soo much for the help

CharlesW
09-02-2004, 07:30 AM
A couple of good reads for you would be the two "stickys" at the top of the Main Street Detailing Forum.
One is a guide to detailing with lots of information on procedures as well as products. The other is a guide to the meaning of all the acronyms used here.

Charles

JimS
09-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Lack of shine is caused by an uneven surface. Polish is an abrasive substance that flattens the surface and this flatter surface shines better than the uneven surface.

Sealant is a substance that you apply after the surface has been polished. When you are satisfied with the shine and you want to protect/preserve the shine and the paint itself then you add wax or sealant. It is a thin coating that protects but wears off over time and needs to be reapplied.

Steps: wash, clay, wash, dry, remove scratches with Swirl Removers, rubbing compound, etc, polish, seal or wax.

SSR1 = Super Swirl Remover 1 from Poorboy. It also comes in other degrees of abrasiveness. go to www.poorboysworld.com. PWC = Poorboys Polish with Carnuba. EX is Poorboys sealant with carnuba.

It sounds like your Porter Cable "buffer" may be a rotary and this equipment is best left to be used by someone with experience. Get a Porter Cable random orbital polisher..."PC" as it`s referred to here.

Micro fiber towels are special towels used for polishing paint. They are extremely safe to use and do not induce micro-scratching. They are a little expensive but are wonderful for drying after washing, rubbing off polish/wax/sealant, for doing windows, for dusting inside, for using S&W (Poorboys Spray & Wipe). Microfiber towels, usually referred to as mf or wwmf (waffle weave microfiber), are really great and in my opinion are well worth the expense.

Hope that helps.

JimS
09-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by CharlesW
A couple of good reads for you would be the two "stickys" at the top of the Main Street Detailing Forum.
One is a guide to detailing with lots of information on procedures as well as products. The other is a guide to the meaning of all the acronyms used here.

Charles

In addition to the excellent suggestions by Charles there is very good information available at www.premiumautocare.com where Dwayne has assembled instructions for doing anything and everything to do with detailing.

CharlesW
09-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by JimS
In addition to the excellent suggestions by Charles there is very good information available at www.premiumautocare.com where Dwayne has assembled instructions for doing anything and everything to do with detailing. Unfortunately, the information pages are still under construction.
They will probably be more helpful a little later. :)

Charles

willbjew
09-02-2004, 01:41 PM
thanks i really dont know if it is and orbital or rotary. it does have a speed adjuster at the back. 1-6 . thanks for the help. Also if you dont polish will the shine quality be less.I have the detailing bug but need some practice

HondaMan
09-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Polish using AIO or Poorboys Pro Polish...it`s worth it, and unless your car is brand new, it`ll make a noticeable difference. Remember, if you go from wash/clay to sealant, you are locking in with the sealant the condition of the paint job after the wash/clay. You can improve it with the polishing. It`s not hard and is worth it.

Better to add a polishing step and cut down 1 layer of sealant than to KO the polishing step and have 2 or 3 or 4 layers or whatever of sealant. JMHO.

JaredPointer
09-02-2004, 01:52 PM
I agree with hondaman. Prep the paint very well with a polish/swirl remover and then seal in all the fresh goodness. ;)

HondaMan
09-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey, I must have learned something for a well-respected vet like Jared to be affirming me!! Thanks, Jared!

willbjew
09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Ummk i will look in to that. I have a jeep Wrangler 2003, my dad used to drive it for a few months before i got it he drove it hard. I am 16 now. I have it looking pretty darn good now but i need to work on the interior. But thanks for all the help.

JimS
09-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by willbjew
thanks i really dont know if it is and orbital or rotary. it does have a speed adjuster at the back. 1-6 . thanks for the help. Also if you dont polish will the shine quality be less.I have the detailing bug but need some practice

Waxing without polishing won`t increase the shine to any substantial degree. Wax just protects the shine that is there. Polishing is what creates the shine. Shine comes from a flat surface and you have to polish to achieve the flat surface.