PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable recomendation needed...

tommyd
09-22-2003, 02:38 PM
I`ve searched and haven`t been able to find a definitive answer to this question:

The backing plate? Will the PC velcro backing plate (pn 18001/18002) be ok or do i need to get a specialized one?

(noob question: the polishing pads just `velcro` onto the backing plate without any other help adhering to the machine?)

Appears the 7424 is a discontinued model, but it`s exactly the same as the 7336. In purchasing the 7336:

Is there anything else extra i should specifically look for or get?

thx

EDIT: if i could find a 7424 around, any reason for me to buy it? Seems to me i`d be better off with the 7336?

weegee
09-22-2003, 03:32 PM
go to coastaltools.com.

They have the 7424 with the velcro backing and 6" counterweight package. Should take care of all your needs in one shot.

tommyd
09-22-2003, 03:44 PM
that still didn`t answer my question... but thanks! :p

i can get a 7336 for about $120-$130 usd... no shipping, comes with the 6" counter weight...

what i`m really wondering is if i should get the PC backing plate or forgo it for the Meguires or 3M brand...?

ntwrkguy1
09-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Get whatever one is cheaper :) Seriously, there really isn`t much of a discernable difference. I`ve got both a PC backing pad, and a 3M. Both work extremely well.

FredBro
09-22-2003, 04:17 PM
The backing plate has a threaded shaft on it (5/16"-24). The backing plate has the plastic "hooks" on it. it`s about 6 inches in diameter.

The 7336SP that I got from Lowe`s did not come with the "hooky" backing plate. It came with the "sanding" backing plate (just flat plastic)

I got the 3M backing plate for it. I`ve bought 6" pads from Meguiar`s. They`re actually about 6 and a half inches in diameter. and have the cloth part of "Velcro" on the back.

You just press them on the backing plate and start having a ball!:bounce

Deanski
09-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Here is some info on the PC:

Guide to the PC (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1) More on the PC (http://www.roadfly.org/milemarker/7/porter_cable_buffer.1.html)

Enjoy.

Regards,

Deanski

shaf
09-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Hi tommyd, it`s a bit harder to find a PC around here than it is in the US unfortunately.

I always recommend the 7336 (or 7336sp) model (or the Coastal deal for US folks) because it comes with the heavier 6" counterweight that seems to work better. The machines themselves are otherwise identical. If you were to buy a 7424 you`d be stuck with a 5" weight because no one seems to sell the 6" weight locally.

The backing plate that comes with PCs is PSA style for adhesive sanding discs

and not velcro. You will need to buy either: A) a 3M or Meguiar`s velcro backing plate, or B) a stick-on velcro adapter for a couple bucks. I comment on this option somewhere in the middle of my PC thread, but velcro backing plates don`t seem to be cheap up here and I`m not sure if anyone sells it anyway.

Check your PMs. :)

tommyd
09-23-2003, 01:14 AM
Thanks!

Almost ready to take the dive now... :xyxthumbs