PDA

View Full Version : All right- how do I clean this- interior wiring harness?

BK1
09-22-2003, 01:28 PM
I had a auto recycler send me a wiring harness out of a totalled Chrysler 300M which has the connectors for the lighted visor mirrors, overhead console and automatic dimming rear view mirror. I got the package today and noticed that it was quite muddy and dirty with some mud caked into the pin connector holes.

My question is what is safest way to remove this dirt? I`m thinking electrical contact cleaner and a can of compressed air into the connector holes and wipe down the rest of the harness with WD-40.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

BK

Accumulator
09-23-2003, 08:20 AM
Sounds like you have a good plan, with the possible exception of the WD40. I`m just not much of a fan of that stuff for things that I don`t want slimy ("slimy" is a poor choice of words, but I think you know what I mean). *I* would worry that it would attract dirt or stain something later. I`d use something like Prepsol, 3M adhesive remover, or even brake parts cleaner (but be careful with dangerous solvents!).

70fastback
09-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Cleaning electrical contacts, wiring is a weekly occurrence for me. I work on military aircraft and frequently the wiring is covered in hydraulic fluid, dirt, grease, etc. We use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, small brush and compressed air. Electrical contact cleaner is more expensive and it doesn`t work any better, but it works.

BK1
09-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the response guys, I`ll use the alcohol to remove this dirt and stay away from the WD-40. I`m thinking if I get the WD-40 on my hands it will transfer to other parts of the car.

Thank You again...

Lt James
09-23-2003, 10:49 AM
If there are no relays, or components on the harness itself you could always just rinse it in a bucket, then warm it in your oven to say 125F/50C for an hour or so. You can also clean / degrease it with Ctirus Solve, or another bio-d cleaner, then rinse thoroughly. You can get any electrical un-powered device wet, as long as you clean and dry it completely before re-energizing. (Even Cell phones!)

I know it sounds wierd, but you can trust me, I`m an EE and we do this regularly with RF grade components to minimize leakage current paths on our test boards. We actually have a dishwasher in our lab that we`ve modified :)

Lt J~

BK1
09-23-2003, 10:56 AM
That could work also. there are no relays- just female/male connectors.

Thank You