PDA

View Full Version : odd Gunk on windsheild

godofthunder
09-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Ok, to start off, I have an early GM w-body Oldsmobile Cutlass supreme (1996). Instead of uni-directional wipers, I have ones that looks like those on mid-aged minivans (PLymouth Voyager comes to mind) where they both come from middle and go out towards the left and right edges....

Recently, I was using the wipers in the rain (of course), well, on the right hand side, my wiper was sticking in this one spot when it moved to the end. So, i figured its just road gunk.

Well, i cant really get it gone. I used Windex, and straigh amonia. Whiel mostly gone, its still noticeable.

But...when it rains, you see that that area stays dryer almost, or just the water STICKS to it, rather than moving off. While one area is whats causing the problem, you can see this line all up the side.

Any tips on how to get the window super clean, and what this stuff may be? When looking at the window, you cant really see it. And when feeling, you can barley feel it.

Jon

Accumulator
09-21-2003, 12:02 PM
NO idea what it might be, but *I`D* try clay, then an automotive-glass polish (preferably by PC).

Bill D
09-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Maybe the Diamondite glass system could be useful too after the initial clay.

godofthunder
09-23-2003, 09:53 AM
ok, still there, after thatt amonia and everything

My stepdad suggested coke as a degreaser, in limited quantities. I also have been thinking of a sharp, close razor blade.

Its almost impossible to feel on the windshield. But, VERY noticeable in car, looking at the right hand side. While the spot did go down some, still very much there

I dont want to buy another thing of clay just for this. Id think just some strong chem would get rid of it.

BK1
09-23-2003, 11:01 AM
It almost sounds like you need some sort of very mild abrasive to remove this spot.

I know this sounds crazy but have to tried toothpaste? I heard its almost like a jewelers rouge and may help (just go slowly and with the minimum of pressure).

Good Luck

godofthunder
09-23-2003, 11:58 AM
I was thinking that, or even using a dish-washing pad (yellow foam, with like a hard netting).

I may try the toothpaste as a polish.

Jon