PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong

MetalSludge
09-19-2003, 04:09 PM
I tried using Megs #7 to try and cover up some of my swirls till I hit them with a PC. Well I wiped it on the whole truck and then went back and made like 3 trips around wiping it off like it was suggested in the Mike Phillips in the Hall of Fame thread but when I got done it didnt really shine any better than before and hid none of my swirls. Was wandering what I might have done wrong?

weegee
09-19-2003, 04:40 PM
couple things:

1) #7 won`t remove swirls. Upgrade to #9 or SMR if they`re moderate, DACP if they`re more noticeable. Also what kind of pad are you using? You should be using a cutting (yellow pad for some brands) with the above polishes.

2) You should buff immediately after you work the polish into a powder. I guess you could wait if you break the polish down enough, but why. The longer it sits, the harder it gets to wipe off.

Basically, use SMR, #9 or DACP. Then you may want to follow up with a #7, IHG or GEPC, this time using polishing (white pad).

Then don`t forget to seal in the shine with a sealant and/or carnuba wax.

gnahc79
09-19-2003, 04:49 PM
what weegee said.

for black paint a PC is your friend :D. Keep everything clean and make sure the paint surface isn`t cooking under the sun.

And make sure to post pics! :xyxthumbs

2wheelsx2
09-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Your basic prep still has to be there to enhance the shine. As weegee suggest, use some #9 (even by hand) to minimize the defects, or at least use a paint cleanser like Mother`s or PPCL, or GEPC to clean up the paint prior to applying #7, then you`ll see the results you are looking for.

MetalSludge
09-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Sorry guys I thought the oils and such in the #7 were supose to hide the swirls and such.

gnahc79
09-19-2003, 06:06 PM
if you can see the swirls from 3+ ft away in the sunlight, chances are #7 won`t be of any help. #9 by hand might help. I too was perplexed when I tried to use #9 by hand and saw no improvements.

Deanski
09-19-2003, 08:32 PM
You really could use a PC to REMOVE them. If they are that bad, you may have to use Megs DACP and a cutting pad. This will remove them. Then, follow with the #9 followed by hand polish or Gepc for that mirror shine. Then you could add the #7 glaze for the wet look followed by a wax.

A good combo after #9 is VM and Carnuba Moose. Look at some of Scottwax pics.

By hand you still can do same, just will take a lot longer. Get some good 100% USA towels for all this work when you have to polish. Use the foam pads to apply a polish, then use the towels when polishing.

Let us know how you do.

Regards,

Deanski