PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Start Over - ?`s

Pages : [1] 2

norahcrv
09-01-2004, 03:24 PM
I`m facing a 4 day weekend and thought I would use it to re-do my cars. I have an `04 Honda CR-V and an `85 Civic Wagon. Both are "beige" in colour, although the V is metallic, where the wagon is not.

Neither one has been washed since Memorial Day weekend, but I`ve been maintaining them with weekly S & W, followed by QD+ every other week.

It hurts my eyes to look at them in the direct sun, and the garage lights don`t show any swirls, nor does the portable halogen work light. Is it possible that I`ve managed to avoid the swirl scourge?

Here`s my plan of attack:
Wash w/Mullet Wash (or Megs GC wash)
Clay
Mullet Wash again
PB SSR1 w/ PC & Megs Yellow polishing pad
PB PwC w/ PC & Megs Yellow polishing pad
PB Ex-P w/PC & Megs Tan finishing pad
wait 24 hours & re-apply, repeat after another 24 hours. Is it advisable to use the PC for these subsequent coats, or should I do them by hand?

If time permits, I might top with Natty`s, but may hold off until our weather is consistantly below 100*.

Or if it arrives in time, I`ll try the Liquid Souveran as a LSP. And substitute their Swirl Removers for the SSR as needed.

I`d like to make them as deep and reflective as possible on a light colour, in addition to giving the paint as much protection as possible.

Any suggestions / improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Norah

PS - Sorry, just noticed how long this is!

wifehatescar
09-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Shine a flasklight up close on it at night. You can see swirls that way. Or a single incandescent bulb overhead in an otherwise dark garage.

rollman
09-01-2004, 04:45 PM
What ever you do , don`t forget some pics . :bigups Have fun ! Happy detailing

Oh yeah I forgot to add. Before & After`s please .

EBPcivicsi
09-01-2004, 04:55 PM
On Honda paint, I doubt it, but who knows. You could try the halogens in a garage or try some sunglasses. :) I would be willing to bet that there is at least some minor marring just from touching the paint.

Your plan sounds great to me!!!

I would apply the subsequent layers of EX-P by hand.

PICS!!!!!

Have fun!!

norahcrv
09-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, I will try to get some pics, but I`m not very good with the digital camera. I`ll try to get my son to take some tomorrow night before I start.

Also, any tips for my first usage of the PC? Besides start with a car I don`t care about - not an option!

I`ll try the flashlight in the garage tonight.

Norah

AMDin93103
09-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
I would apply the subsequent layers of EX-P by hand.. . . .:yeah

Boss_429
09-01-2004, 07:49 PM
norahcrv,

I think your plan sounds very good. I agree with the others though............ if you are going to apply multiple layers of LSP`s, I would only apply the first coat with the PC......... next layers by hand.

On my wife`s 04` white CRV, she likes SSR1 followed by EX-P! :bigups

norahcrv
09-02-2004, 11:50 AM
One last (maybe) question - I don`t have a leaf blower - has anyone tried a hair blow dryer on low heat to blow the water out of the crevices, etc. to prevent drips? Any thoughts or alternate suggestions?

Boss_429
09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
I wouldn`t use a hair dryer............ it would take too long, and might heat the paint up a little too much!

NYV6Coupe
09-02-2004, 04:18 PM
I just picked up an electric leaf blower from Wal-Mart cost, was a bit less than $20

awd330
09-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Norah - Do you have an air compressor? You can try that instead of a leaf blower to push water out of crevices.

norahcrv
09-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Great idea, Marj, but I only have a "battery driven, tire inflater" thingy. I don`t know if there`s anyway to get a "good flow of air out of it - enough to force water out of the crevices.
If I have a chance tomorrow, I`m going to stop by WalMart and check out their $20 blower. You`d think that "drips" wouldn`t be such a problem here in the desert, but they still happen!
Norah

PS - It finally rained on my V tonight - first time since before Memorial Day - PB (PwC, EX-P maintained with bi-weekly QD+) is beading beautifully!! But I`m still going to redo it all this weekend with the PC!

The Fuzz
09-03-2004, 09:21 PM
You shouldn`t need to use anything to blow the water out of the cracks. Just open the trunk and get a towel or absorber or something and wipe them out. Its as easy as that. I`ve never used a leaf blower on my car and I`ve never had a drip. I dry the whole thing. Every part of it. That includes the trunk and door jambs. If you dry those areas then you don`t have much to worry about. The only spot left that water could hide is around the door handles.

awd330
09-03-2004, 11:41 PM
I always have some water drips coming out of the mirror housing, license plate brackets, and vent trim. However, I don`t usually go through the trouble of using any "air power" for drying. I open all the doors (including the hood and trunk lid), dry all the accessible areas with a MF work towel, then close all the doors. The act of closing the doors will jar much of the remaining water out of the crevices. I`ll follow up with a quick pass with a waffle weave towel to soak up the errant drips.

norahcrv
09-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Thanks Marj & Fuzz,
I never used to "blow them out", but reading on here, it seemed that "everybody" does. Glad to hear that is not the case - I really don`t need to spend any more money right now, so I`ll go with your recommended method.
Norah