PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Oxidation Project

markmando
09-17-2003, 10:01 AM
have a friend with a white camper that is yellowing in some parts.

wondering what would work best for removing the oxidation and getting it back to white.

multiple passes with a clay bar or a couple of coats of polish?

or is there some other miracle product that would restore it back to factory white?

many thanks.:)

Jngrbrdman
09-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Oxidation? Miracle product? Sounds like you need some Klasse. :D I don`t think anyone here isn`t aware of my love for the stuff when it comes to cleaning off oxidation. This thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23482) is a pretty good example of the power of AIO. In reality, any abrasive or good paint cleaner should do the trick. I would use Klasse if you are working by hand. If you have a machine then you could use some DACP or something like that. It just depends on how bad the oxidation is.

markmando
09-17-2003, 10:57 AM
DAMN! thats some serious restoring power.

I`ll be using a 10" "road expiditon" orbital buffer and have some megs #7 but might be purchasing some AIO very soon . stuff sounds great.

btw-whats your opinion on megs #7

Jngrbrdman
09-17-2003, 11:10 AM
I`m not much of a glaze kind of person. I would prefer to remove the swirls rather than filling them with a glaze. I do hear that it looks really great for a week or two and then the oils wash out and the swirls come back. Its not going to do anything for oxidation though. Its just an appearance enhancing product. Its a great product to use before a show or when you need your car looking super good for maybe a shorter period of time. I don`t think I`ve ever read anything negative about it.

2wheelsx2
09-17-2003, 11:34 AM
If you`re going to use something from the Meguiar`s line, then you should be considering #9 or #83, DACP. #7 has no cleaning ability, as Jngrbrdman has stated.

markmando
09-17-2003, 12:11 PM
good stuff to know

thanks!

markmando
09-17-2003, 12:15 PM
oh yeah, for applying the polish a foam app on the orbital is best to use?

followed by terry cloth bonnet on the orbital.

2wheelsx2
09-17-2003, 12:18 PM
There are different cutting abilities of foam pads. For your purposes, you`ll want a polishing or a cutting pad, depending on how aggressive a product you are using.

markmando
09-17-2003, 12:23 PM
cool.

Scottwax
09-18-2003, 12:08 AM
You might want to consider using Meguiars boat/RV specific products. They seem to work better on oxidized gel coats than their regular product line.

Joshua312
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
*Bump* I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering what products/machine I should be using on an upcoming detail. It is in a 1989 Camper (white) the kind with the rigid ripple siding. There is a small area where the owner tried to remove oxidation with a heavy rubbing compound by hand and it took the paint right off. (he said he was rubbing for minutes) So Im curious if I should even use my cyclo.

Here are my options:

Products available for this kind of work:

Meguiars #66 Quick Detailer

Meguiars #49 Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover

Meguiars #67 One-Step Compound

Wax:

Flagship Premium Marine Wax

My question is which product should I use, and by hand or cyclo? If I use the cyclo I think Im going to purchase the terry bonnets so I dont have to ruin my pads and I think it`ll work better because Im not trying to remove defects, just get rid of the oxidation.

Thanks guys, Josh

Scottwax
09-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Trust me, use your Cyclo.

I`d start with whichever is least aggressive and move up as needed.

Joshua312
09-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks Scott, Do you think I should use my foam pads or try out the terry bonnets? He doesnt want any defect removal, just nice and shiny he said. I appreciate the help!