PDA

View Full Version : How good does Collinite look?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_NHBFAN
09-16-2003, 09:59 PM
I`ve read many posts supporting Collinite`s durability, but not too many reviews on how good it looks.

I`m trying to plan ahead for winter protection. Presently just adding KSG. On my 3rd coat so far.

Would Collinite add to the appearance of KSG?

Scottwax
09-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Some guy who used to post here had pics of his Accord that he used Collinite on and it looked pretty good with real sharp reflections.

In the Guru test, both were very durable, but the Marque De Elegance had a small edge appearance-wise over the Super Doublecoat.

rd_volvo
09-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Using Marque topped with s100 and looks outstanding.

Will try # 7 under these two and Meg`s FD # 5101 on top.

Could be detailing nirvana.

What I always liked about Collinite Marque is that the car

looks like it`s wrappped in Saran wrap and it has that same

feel when you run your fingers across.

FWIW - This wax will mute the shine a little which can be a good thing cause it makes swirls and imperfections almost invisible.

Topping with the S100 replenishes that mute.

Will post results soon.

Scot, If you get a chance to play around try :

#7 - Collinite Marque - S100 - Meg`s Final Detail

It may be the Holy Grail!

rd

imported_f150smith
09-17-2003, 08:01 AM
I`ve been planning my pre-winter detail. Here is what I`m thinking about. AIO with 3 coats of KSG then topping with either the Super double coat or the Marquis. Which of the Collintes seem to last the longest for this purpose? Any thoughts on this plan? Any other suggestions for good solid long lasting paint protection?

I have everything above plus EX and Sourevan which has been on both the car and truck over the summer on top of AIO.

Thanks for any input.

Accumulator
09-17-2003, 11:23 AM
I use Collinite`s 476S on our `84 Volvo wagon. Last year (early December) I put two quick applications over a base of Autoglym`s Super Resin Polish (comparable to AIOx1 + SGx1). The Volvo was outside all winter, except for when I washed it, and was used in some AWFUL weather. It was still beading nicely when the weather cleared up in March.

This was despite a "wipe-on-wipe-off" application technique that probably didn`t fully exploit Collinite`s durability potential.

imported_NHBFAN
09-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Is it worth the $$$ purchasing Marque (#915) over Super Double Coat (#476s)?

imported_f150smith
09-18-2003, 08:55 PM
IMHO it depends on the color. I`ve used both and find I like the Marquis a little better on my red f150. On my wife`s car which is a silver metallic i really can`t tell that much difference.

Accumulator
09-19-2003, 11:06 AM
NHBFAN- The guys at Collinite thought that the 476S was a smarter buy than the Marque, even though I told them the difference in cost was not significant to me. They were adamant that the 476S is their longest-lasting wax. *I* think the 476S looks fine on blue and silver, but as F150smith said, some colors show even minor differences a LOT more than others.

imported_NHBFAN
09-19-2003, 11:49 AM
I guess the Marque has a higher % carnuba, thus the higher cost, thus a little less durable than Super Double Coat.

Is this accurate?

Accumulator
09-20-2003, 10:14 AM
NHBFan- I honestly don`t know, but that sounds reasonable. You might give the guys at Collinite a call. They`re nice and helpful. FWIW, I doubt that you`ll be disappointed with either one. If you`ve never used Collinite before its beading characteristics will astound you.

imported_NHBFAN
09-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Well I ordered Super Double Coat last night. Presently I have 4 or 5 coasts of KSG. Will be topping with Collinite when it arrives.

I wonder if FI will make Collinite remove as easy as Sonus did for KSG? Too bad Collinite does make a QD to maintain this long lasting wax.

Accumulator
09-24-2003, 08:26 PM
The "trick" to making Collinite easy to use is to buff it off BEFORE it dries completely. Sorta like people usually do with Souveran and P21S. Doesn`t seem to negatively impact durability very much, IMO.

Even when you let it set up, it isn`t as bad as people make it out to be. Using a good MF, and no FI or anything, I never have a problem.

[Looks into crystal ball] You`re gonna be glad you got the Collinite.

wash_me
09-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Has anyone try Collinte`s #885 Fleetwax?

imported_NHBFAN
09-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Wash_Me

Has anyone try Collinte`s #885 Fleetwax?

I read somewhere that Fleetwax and Super Double Coat was the same thing. Sorta like P21S and S100.

imported_NHBFAN
10-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Applied the Super Double Coat this weekend. It looked pretty good, but not a wet as I`m used to, so today I topped it with Blitz.

As long as you apply 476 to small areas and remove before it hazes too much it`s not so bad. I let it dry on my tailgate ... bad idea ... it was a bear to remove!

If it provides added protecton I`m glad I have it in my arsenal.