PDA

View Full Version : Washed my MF towels, colors ran ->

Inzane
09-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Ok, newbie here. :)

I have collected in total about 10 microfibre towels now. These are the ones that come as a 16x16 square, individually wrapped. 8 of them are blue Norton brand towels, another blue one is called "Micro-Sheen" or something, and the last one is a white Meguiar`s "Ultimate Wipe".

I used them all as is, fresh out of the package. They`ve been used for a variety of things: quick detailer, spot treatments with #7 or #9, removing clay bar spray residue, removing paint cleaner, polish & wax, and final buffing. They seem to work great for all of that, no scratching, etc.

Anyway, I threw them into the wash last night for the first time. I used liquid Tide (no bleach, no fabric softner), HOT water, small load size, extra rinse cycle. 9 blue and 1 white towel went in. 10 blue towels came out.. D`oh!

Then they went in the dryer for ~ 30 minutes low/med heat. Turned out great except for the color running.

Anyway, is this anything to worry about. The car I detailed on the weekend is black,and I never experienced any color running while using all the above products. Should I have washed these towels BEFORE using? And what should I do next time I get new ones? And, lastly, am I even using the right kind of towels for this kind of buffing and product removal duty?

Thanks!

iceman
09-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Yes, you should have washed them before using for two reasons. To wash out any lint and to allow some of the colour to leech out from dark coloured MFs.

Don`t know about your Norton brand stuff but try rubbing them on a disposable CD like those AOL samples in the mail. If you get scratches on the CD, they MIGHT scratch your paint. If no scratches, they are safe to use on your car.

medic159
09-16-2003, 10:29 AM
ALWAYS wash towels before using them for the first time because they will always contain loose threads, sewing machine oil, dirt from the floor when they were dropped, etc. The colors running means nothing.