PDA

View Full Version : Bonding issues with different vehicle brands

JAGOWNER1981
09-16-2003, 08:37 AM
It seems that every product, whether it be zaino, klasse, aquapel, or whatever seems to last longer on the benzes then it does on my lexus. I am using the same technique to apply on all the cars and Zaino seems to last MUCH longer on the benzes then the lexus... same with aquapel on the glass! I was wondering if anyone knows specifically why this happens, different materials and paints? The color of the car? I`d like to hear some opinions.

porterdog
09-16-2003, 09:07 AM
...and if true I bet it would be heavily advertised. I recently heard about a new glass coating from PPG that helps to keep your windows clean. Supposedly sunlight changes the coatings shape in some way so that dirt is actually `shrugged off`. Wow.

Now, Lexus are pretty crafty, and as they like to say they`re `relentlessly pursuing perfection.` Mebbe they`ve got Special Paint that is designed to stay cleaner, and this is inhibiting the abilty of your sealant system to bond?

FWIW, I also learned that some Lexii will be coming from the factory with Aquapel installed.

(I do some work with PPG, who supply some of the glass to Lexus).

Robert

DaGonz
09-16-2003, 09:08 AM
I think that product durability and all depends on the formulation and color of the paintwork. and the car care product used. Each major paint manufacturer has slightly different formulations for their products. Each auto appearance product manufacturer has the same differences in their products. The differences might be microscopic, and those who are non Autopian can`t tell the difference, but we can!

A lot also has to do with the detailer`s application techniques!

Accumulator
09-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by AlBoston

It seems that every product, whether it be zaino, klasse, aquapel, or whatever seems to last longer on the benzes then it does on my lexus. I am using the same technique to apply on all the cars and Zaino seems to last MUCH longer on the benzes then the lexus...

LOL, ScottWax and I were discussing this topic on another thread and his experiences have been the exact opposite of yours! MY German cars seem to work out as yours do, but I use different products on my Japanese cars so I can`t really compare fairly. I agree how it`s odd the way some car/product combos work out SO differently from others. I too wonder about it...

imported_dl9589
09-18-2003, 07:02 PM
I`ve had an ongoing battle with my vehicle and S100. I can apply it to other peoples cars and it will last upwards of 3 months...mine seems to diminish and fail after 3 or 4 weeks.

I`m going to be trying some new wax so hopefully that will solve my dilema.

Scottwax
09-18-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

LOL, ScottWax and I were discussing this topic on another thread and his experiences have been the exact opposite of yours! MY German cars seem to work out as yours do, but I use different products on my Japanese cars so I can`t really compare fairly. I agree how it`s odd the way some car/product combos work out SO differently from others. I too wonder about it...

Actually, it depends on the German car! S100 seems to bead the longest on GMs, Fords, Lexus/Toyota and shortest on BMW and Mercedes. At first I thought it was because most of the Bimmers and Benz that I detail are black, but I also do a lot of black Ford F-250s and they seem to bead longer.

Winner`s Choice has been beading very nicely for almost 3 months now on an S420 that I wash weekly.

Anyone else have any thoughts on why some brands seem to bead longer with certain products than others?

Jesstzn
09-18-2003, 11:03 PM
Try Glanz Wax on the German cars .. I used it on my Passat and 20 washings .. still beading .. took 3 Dawn washings then to get it off..

Lowejackson
09-19-2003, 02:46 PM
This might be a good question for SP 325i as he does or did work for a car paint company.