PDA

View Full Version : To bleach or not to bleach

PAW
09-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Why shouldn`t you use chlorine bleach on you`re white, 100% cotton wash mitts? I keep see this in threads but with no explaination.

chris0626
09-15-2003, 10:45 PM
The little bit I know about chemistry: Bleach is a very agggresive chemical. (Can`t remember whether it`s alkaline, acidic, or just oxidizing.) So ... if you aren`t 100% sure you`ve completely rinsed it out, it could do bad stuff. That`s as technical as I can get. And that`s why I stay clear of it. I`m sure other Autopians will give you better details.

JasonC8301
09-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Stay away from bleach. I used Clorox Ultra religiously for a few months. I had to buy new underwear, socks, and pillow cases. I would say I used about 10-15 gallons in a 5 month period.

Like Lynn said, its dangerouss tuff. Its corrosive as said on the label.

6% sodium hypochlorite. So its a oxidizing chemical?

Scottwax
09-15-2003, 11:44 PM
I just use liquid detergent and hot water on my terry cloth towels.

Slackmeister
09-16-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

I used Clorox Ultra religiously for a few months. I had to buy new underwear, socks, and pillow cases. I would say I used about 10-15 gallons in a 5 month period.

:eek: How much were you using per load?

medic159
09-16-2003, 07:55 AM
There is no reason whatsoever to use bleach on your detailing towels. People use bleach to whiten discolored whites and that is all. Bleach doesn`t clean, it simply whitens. It also breaks down the yarn and will eventually damage your towels. Do you really care if your white towels don`t look so white anymore?

endus
09-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by DFTowel

Do you really care if your white towels don`t look so white anymore?

Exactly. Bleach isn`t going to remove more dirt than regular soap, so why would you care if you`re towels have a little bacteria in them or aren`t as white. Definitely not worth the decreased lifespan that bleach will cause.

PAW
09-16-2003, 08:55 AM
I thought dingy whites were a sign that the fabric/fiber wasn`t 100% clean. That using bleach actually had some cleaning power.

I never knew I`d be learning laundry technics at autopia.org! I guess that detailing really is a "thinking sport". :D

tetz
09-16-2003, 10:17 AM
...It also breaks down the yarn....

I use that very fact to soften up new white cotton towels for

detailing. Once they`re good and soft I use oxyclean, but for the

first few washes I like using bleach.

medic159
09-16-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by tetz

...It also breaks down the yarn....

I use that very fact to soften up new white cotton towels for

detailing. Once they`re good and soft I use oxyclean, but for the

first few washes I like using bleach.

Sorry but the bleach isn`t softening anything, what is making them feel softer is that you are washing out all the deposited oils from the weaving, sewing, and handling processes.

JasonC8301
09-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Slackmeister

:eek: How much were you using per load?

one second.....two second..three second...should be 3/4 cup (6 ounces), wait not....one two dump some in, three four dump some more....... lol

I think like 2-3 cups a load. My whites weren`t that dirty, I was just bleach happy. Kinda of bad when you do laundry 2X a week and have like 3 pairs of whtie socks and 3 pairs of briefs in the load with a pillow case, LOL!