PDA

View Full Version : why choose the pads you do?

FredBro
09-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone!:wavey

I`ve got my PC and was wondering if you choose to use a Meguiar`s product, why not use Meguiar`s pads? Is the reason local availability?

I`m using Meg DACP on a Meg W-8006 and it`s not removing some marks on Guinevere. I don`t want to go to a wool pad! Should I go to a W-7006 Cutting pad? Or should I use 3M products and 3M pads?

I can`t get the Meg cutting pad locally and want to know if it`s OK to use a 3M equivalent? And does 3M make a 6" cutting pad?

I`m still new and don`t want to wreck the BMW, It`s looking really great right now but i still have swirl marks and a few deeper marks. (I wouldn`t call them scratches. They don`t go into the primer)

I`m searching all over the board here but can`t come up with anding that address` my question. I`ve read the standard help links to roadfly and others here already.

Thanks for your help

imported_Macgirl
09-15-2003, 12:50 PM
I don`t know if I`m answering your question or not but I really don`t think it matters whether you use same manufacturer product and pads, just that you find something that works. I use yellow and white Lake Country Pads from CMA and I`ve got Meg`s, einszett, 3M & Menzerna products. I suggest if you have marks or light scratches that you aren`t getting after using the machine with a cutting pad, inspect the surface and wipe down with a 50/`50 alcohol & water solution, if you see a mark apply a rubbing compound with a terry applicator to the spot and hand polish till it diminishes the mark. That is a safe way to remove them without resorting to a wool pad, cheaper too. If you have large areas of swirl marks you are having trouble with you may just need to repeat the polishing with DACP and a cutting pad, if you are using a PC it may not totally remove marks because it doesn`t generate a lot of heat like a rotary polisher does. There is a fine line between going too abrasive and using the things that are just right, you don`t want to remove too much clear coat or paint. Good luck and I hope I`ve been helpful, maybe a few more experienced pro`s will chime in.

LOTA OT
09-15-2003, 02:00 PM
I use the Lake Country pads because that`s what I could find easilly on the web at a great price. I really like the 7.5" advanced pad as the velcro portion is in a recessed `cup` that is bonded to the foam. Makes for a more secure attachement point and keeps the backing plate recessed, away from the paint.

Whichever brand of pad you get, I strongly suggest getting at least two cutting pads and two polishing pads. If your paint is bad enough, you can get a wool pad as well.

Michael

FredBro
09-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks MacGirl and Mike!

I have two finishing pads and two polishing pads. I should be using the DACP with a cutting pad! Right?

I called Meguiar`s SOS line and explained what I have and that each pad has it`s own bag and will never touch another product. I think the guy didn`t understand or didn`t hear me. I don`t think he was listening very closely.

I think I feel a trip to the store coming on!!

I`m not Anal Retentive!

OK. Yes I am!

imported_Macgirl
09-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Yes, use the DACP with a cutting pad (yellow) and follow with a swirl remover polish (Meg`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0, for example) with a polishing (white) pad. A finishing pad (gray or black) has no cutting or polishing effects and is usually used for applying sealants or wax. BTW, get two cutting pads.

FredBro
09-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Here is a picture of what I`ve accumulated thus far! (kinda like Christmas in September! I REALLY need a digital camera so I can take better pictures of the car! WOW I AM an Autopian)

:bounce

It`s all Meguiar`s except the Zymol:

(and the order I used them in)

DACP

Meg W-8006 POLISHING pad (Here I should have used a CUTTING pad (Meg`s #W-7006 or equivalent)

Then Swirl Remover 2.0 and a different polishing pad (also Meg`s W-8006)

Then Show Car Glaze and a Meg`s W-8006 FINISHING pad

Then the Zymol and it`s own finishing pad

imported_Macgirl
09-15-2003, 09:48 PM
So Fred, were you happy with the results you got? Or maybe you aren`t finished, anyway, let us know how it all went.

FredBro
09-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Speaking in the Boston, Massachusetts vernacular, It looks wicked pissa!!!! :lol

I will have to revisit the car next weekend. It`s VERY shiny right now and I know I can do better. I think I may try Meg`s #26 Hi tech yellow wax