PDA

View Full Version : What 1z has to say about claying.....interesting

Pages : [1] 2

airjames
09-14-2003, 05:22 PM
I was reading on the 1z website, they had an article on there about "when to clay" Check it out

http://1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/carcaresolutions/#Clay

Anyone care to argue this??? I am mostly interested in the 2nd paragraph. I never thought of using clay that way but it makes sense,,,,,91

andriver
09-14-2003, 06:02 PM
I read the article and it also makes sense to me. I may try this next time I detail my car.

Deanski
09-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Interesting. But I like to clay first as I do not want those contaminants to be "polished" into the finish with a pad. Better to clay first after a good wash, then polish and clay again if you need to. The thought of contaminants still being there when I polish makes me uneasy!:scared

Regards,

Deanski

Acehole
09-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Poorboy also clays after polishing, so I guess it`s a viable method. Intellectually, I think I prefer to clay first because I have this vision of the PC scrubbing all those contaminants into the finish, but it`s probably not actually happening that way.

Anthony O.
09-14-2003, 07:00 PM
I would lean to the side of disagreement on this one. The reason being that if you polish the surface first and then clay the paint I, personally, would tend to think that I am undoing the "polishing" process I just finished.

This of course depends on how one views or defines "polishing". To use my rotary, polishing pad and the polish of my choice then go over it with clay, which has an abrasive quality to it, seems to be contradictory. I would feel the need to polish all over again because I am thinking I might be introducing light marring or fine scratches, IMHO.

Anthony

imported_Macgirl
09-14-2003, 07:41 PM
I`m a big einszett fan but I have to disagree with them on this tip.

The purpose of clay is to lift out the rust and contaminants in the paint. When those particles are removed then there is a pit left that needs to be filled to diminish its appearance. The job of a polish is to round the edges of scratches and such in the paint and then, with some polishes, leave oils, fillers or silicone to hide them. If the order is switched then the pits may not be properly fixed by the polish. That`s just my opinion but to me it makes perfect sense when you look at it this way.

I`ve tried it both ways and do prefer using the clay first, then polishing.

dlw
09-14-2003, 08:22 PM
I find it ironic that I stumbled across the clay thread just now. I came in a few minutes ago after working on my red CRV. Used my rotary first with 3M Perfect IT III rubbing compound, followed up with more compound with a foam pad on my PC, then used 3M swirl remover the the same area to finish up. On a whim I clayed the rear quarter after finishing. Unbelievable! Even after thinking I was done, the quarter that I clayed is so much smoother and slicker! I`m amazed. Now I have to clay the rest of the thing again! I did use the 3M swirl mark remover again after claying, but I think it was well worth it. I had no idea that the rotary and PC would leave anything behind for the clay. I intend to use this method more often now. I have clayed first, then used the rotary in the past and I don`t believe I got as good results as this time, but of course, it could be just the power of suggestion. I firmly believe that clay will come out way more often now though. As far as clay being too abrasive or causing damage, I`m pretty sure that people don`t use enough lube when claying. I use a mixture of Dawn and water in a spray bottle (heavy on the Dawn!) and I`ve never had any bad results

Steve @ Guru
09-14-2003, 09:22 PM
I too disagree with the idea of claying after, unless you`re dealing with a heavily oxidized surface. On an oxidized surface, the clay may "load up" too quickly - but otherwise, I`d always clay first.

Why?

Clay is an exfoliant - it lifts dirt and debris from the surface. So think of it like a tweezers. If you had a splinter in your hand, would you:

a) tweeze out the splinter, then

b) rub the area down with cleaner

OR

1) rub the area down with cleaner, then

2) tweeze out the splinter

Me? I`d go for a, then b.

Scottwax
09-14-2003, 09:58 PM
I agree with Steve. The only times I`ve found it helpful to polish first is if the paint is oxidized. Removing that surface layer of oxidation makes claying a lot easier.

boywonder
09-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by geekysteve

I too disagree with the idea of claying after, unless you`re dealing with a heavily oxidized surface. On an oxidized surface, the clay may "load up" too quickly - but otherwise, I`d always clay first.

Why?

Clay is an exfoliant - it lifts dirt and debris from the surface. So think of it like a tweezers. If you had a splinter in your hand, would you:

a) tweeze out the splinter, then

b) rub the area down with cleaner

OR

1) rub the area down with cleaner, then

2) tweeze out the splinter

Me? I`d go for a, then b.

I think the clay, then polish method works better since you have essentially taken all the contaminants out of the paint before polishing. I am with Steve and Anthony Orosco in that the only time polishing should be done before claying is if a finish is heavily oxidized. :D

Accumulator
09-15-2003, 12:13 PM
One more vote for claying before polishing. If, like dlw, you want to try claying AGAIN after (the more aggressive) polishing, and don`t mind having to REpolish the area *IF* the clay mars it, then sure, go for it. Might even try that myself. But the really bad contaminants...you want those OUT of there before polishing. And yeah, heavy oxidation calls for a different approach, especially with single-stage paint.

johnnygee3
09-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Boy!! Am I ever confused now!I was going to ask if I can clay my car that has several coats of L.G. on it. I`m guessing the clay won`t take off the L.G.,I hope not. Its a new car if that helps any>

airjames
09-15-2003, 06:48 PM
Tks guys:up

I agree with the if the surface is heavily oxidized, first polish, then clay. But if the finish is lightly oxidized then clay first or....whatever floats your boat:D,,,,,,,,,91

Accumulator
09-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by johnnygee3

Boy!! Am I ever confused now!I was going to ask if I can clay my car that has several coats of L.G. on it. I`m guessing the clay won`t take off the L.G.,I hope not. Its a new car if that helps any>

In my experience, if you clay VERY gently (removing stuff that`s on/in your protection) you`ll be OK. If you clay aggresssively (removing stuff that`s UNDER your protection) you`ll have to redo.

pcar 930
06-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Does the order change depending on whether you are dealing with single stage or clear coated? My car is single stage.