PDA

View Full Version : Dash treatment with NO shine?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_jaobrien6
09-14-2003, 03:59 PM
I`m looking for a cleaner for my dash that will leave behind no shine at all, and won`t dry it out. I`ve tried a bunch of low gloss, matte finish treatments (the ones available locally), and they all leave more gloss than I`ve liked. At this point, I haven`t tried any products that I have to order onthe web, `cause I haven`t found one that sounds like i`d be happy with it and I didn`t want to order a bunch of products that didn`t work for me.

I would be perfectly happy going with simply a cleaner instead of a dressing/treatment, but i don`t know what would be a good one to use. I was thinking about the 1z cockpit premium, but i`m worried that a matte finish is still more shine than i want.

On a related topic, how do i get the too-shiny dash treatment off the dash without harming the dash at all... any suggestions on a cleaner to use that will break down the dash treatment? I figured Simple Green would work, but I thought I`d read somewhere here that you shouldn`t use it on plastics...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

John

imported_Greg
09-14-2003, 04:09 PM
I just ordered Sonax interior cleaner from the Autopia store and it is incredible. Unfortunately, David is all out and Sonax won`t make English labels. I would try some of the Megs. interior cleaner as I have heard good things about it.

YoSteve
09-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Awe come on, you guys that know me, KNOW, I have to answer this.

John, have you tried BMDP (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2575&highlight=Black+Magic+Dashboard+Protectant), you can get it over the counter at many places that sell car stuff.

SamIam
09-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Try the 1Z, it leaves absolutely no additional shine. I mean none that I saw. I applied it to my wife`s car and she thought that I didn`t do anything. In fact, she thought the dash was faded. I cleaned it than applied the 1Z and it looked factory.

It will not add any additional shine. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Sam

Deanski
09-14-2003, 07:18 PM
I LOVE the 303. It starts out shiny, but after wiping, it`s matte looking and has very good UV protection, which I need for the SC430!

I did all rubber and vinyl with it! Even did engine compartment, as Megs EK just spattered and left small white droplets. I use the EK now for the wheel wells, works really well there and lasts! Also under the car, EK looks very nice too.

To clean, I use Mehs #40, but I`m switching to the 1Z product, as I just want to clean, not protect/dress as #40 does. #40 has a somewhat leather/new-car type smell.

Regards,

Deanski

imported_Macgirl
09-14-2003, 10:57 PM
303, apply and wipe dry, no shine (at least on my VW dash!). The important step though is to wipe dry (per the directions on the bottle), if you don`t it will be shiney and have a tendency to attract dust. Also, this is a protect-only product, it will not clean your dash. I usually vacuum dust off first then wipe down with a damp MF and then apply the 303.

GoodnClean
09-14-2003, 11:42 PM
I too hate any shine at all on my dashboard, so the general consensus is 303 has NO shine whatsoever?

iceman
09-15-2003, 12:53 AM
303 deepens the colour and has a mild/minimal shine as long as you buff it out after letting it sit for a bit. I wouldn`t use it on hard smooth plastic though as it looks streaky here.

imported_jaobrien6
09-15-2003, 01:05 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone... now i`ve got some new products to try. :)

John

SVR
09-15-2003, 05:51 AM
Blue Magic Vinyl Cleaner and protectant. Works wonders on the plastic interior of my 98 ford. In australia it`s $15 per bottle. Should last years as you don`t need to do dashboards more than once a year. A damp chamois to remove the dust is what i do for most of the year. Using a product often only allows it to build up and possibly damage or discolor the dash.

JasonC8301
09-15-2003, 06:27 AM
I have to second Black Magic Semi-Gloss Dashboard protectant. YoSteve introduced it to the forum (I think) and this stuff rocks. It leaves a clean citrus/orange scent and has little to no shine. It cleans the dash a little and leaves a healthy looking dash (little to no shine but a nice richer color.)

I can only find it in 10 ounce bottles though (Yaz once I get home, you are getting a bottle.)

I prefer Vinylex for when I am in the mood for a little bit of shine but not far off into the shine of Armor all.

endus
09-15-2003, 08:12 AM
303 is all you need.

vmunoz
09-15-2003, 08:16 AM
I`ve been very pleased with Poorboy`s Natural Look. It dries to a very matte finish, has UV protection and has a nice cherry smell to it. I really prefer it over 303, #40 and Vinylex for the interior.

V...

SK2003TypeS
09-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Another vote for 303. Use it on dash and leather.

Try it free :D

http://www.303products.com/store//moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=54

AkronSi
09-15-2003, 12:16 PM
I just tried a 50/50 mixture of 303 and water (I remember reading about someone else on here doing that) and it is very matte. I could barely tell it was on. Did the dash and front doors, then buffed with microfiber towel and then did the back doors and package shelf and buffed them. It turned out great.