PDA

View Full Version : I dont get it. (zaino with top)

imported_BilltheCat
09-14-2003, 03:16 PM
I mean, zaino is super all by itself. It has high reflectivity. It seems to me that carnauba or any wax would have less reflectivity right? and it would chg with the sun and heat yes?

then why use it?

if anyone has comparative photos I would love to see just what the difference is! I think Zaino is super shiney now. Never seen anything better. any takers w photo`s?

I am open minded!

:p

Scott P
09-14-2003, 03:58 PM
Some people like the depth of a carnauba over the shine of Zaino. They like the combination of the optical clarity and durability of Zaino topped by the depth of a carnauba.

imported_BilltheCat
09-14-2003, 04:17 PM
yes, I understand that Scott, and maybe I am just dense here, but cannot fathom the difference! "Deep" seems a subjective term to me, in the eye of the beholder.

If I saw the same color car done both ways, am I going to notice a difference? "Deep" makes me think it is just less shiny. (?) or thicker maybe. is thicker what is meant by deeper?

imported_RIC
09-14-2003, 04:35 PM
I agree. By making the finish less shiny you are making the color come through more...ie depth. Non-clearcoated vehicles have more depth than clear coated vehicles.

Is one way better than the other? I think it is subjective and a matter of preference.

Will you notice a difference? It will be subtle, but probably you will notice the color of the car to come through better in bright sunlight and it will be slightly less reflective under lights at night.

imported_BilltheCat
09-14-2003, 04:39 PM
So it`s optically less clear so as to mute the shine in favor of the car`s paint color. less shine more color. I guess it is subjective at that. I would have to see them side by side to compare I guess.

might be a good reason to experiment, eh? :)

Accumulator
09-14-2003, 04:43 PM
BilltheCat- Welcome to Autopia. Your handle makes me want to say "ACK PHFFFT!", yeah, I loved Bloom County and Bill was my favorite character.

*I* think that you WOULD (especially as someone who is familiar with Zaino) notice the difference, especially on colors like black, red, etc. Now whether or not you`d PREFER the difference, I can`t say.

You`re right, it`s hard to verbalize this stuff.

I myself find that Zaino frequently does, *IMO*, lack the "depth" that *I* prefer especially on certain colors (I`m NOT slamming Zaino! Lynn and Brad use Zaino and I think their cars look great). I`ll sometimes see a car and think "that`s Zaino"- I can sometimes spot it and I don`t even USE it. *I* just happen to like a very different look in most, but not all, cases.

Yes, it IS a subjective thing. When I look at a Z`ed car, I think "very reflective"...like the light is just BOUNCING off of it; to me it`s like a (literal, glass) mirror. Sometimes it`s SO reflective that it makes it difficult for me to appreciate the car`s lines. When I look at a car with the "old school carnauba" look, it`s like a deep pool of paint that you could fall into, like a bottomless body of water. Still reflective, but not in a "hard" way, I don`t think of things "bouncing off" but rather "sinking in". *I* find this more often than not ENHANCES the lines of the sort of cars I like.

LouisanaJeeper
09-14-2003, 05:03 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27999

topnotchtouch
09-14-2003, 05:03 PM
It is just a different look that you are more than likely going to have to try on your car yourself and form your own opinion. Pictures aren`t really going to show the difference unless they are from the same car under the same lighting. The difference in look is subjective. Some people like the look of Zaino and some prefer the look of a Carnauba.

I say give it a try and if you don`t like it you can always use dawn and get rid of it.

imported_BilltheCat
09-14-2003, 05:29 PM
I looked at the pics of the red vette and do note a slightly different `tint` to the color. the zaino vette looks like zaino! but the one with a covering of P21s I think does look slightly darker.

is that the light playing tricks, or does carnauba overtop of Zaino account for the darker red? My 03 Ford F150 Lariat is bright red like that. I do note the same look that the Zaino vette has. like a thin layer of acrylic overtop softening the edges.

what is the best `top` to use for red to experiment with? Fidelfs used that P21s.

I take it some carnauba`s are yellower and some are clearer. what is the best for the red I have and want?

I read that Pinnacle Souveran paste wax is great for red like my truck, but isnt great for water spots. Florida is one big water spot most of the time! So use the Pinnacle Souveran with something over it, or use something else? This is fun but I dont want to end up with 300$ worth of products I cannot use! what do I want?

in your personal opinions of course!

imported_memnuts
09-15-2003, 05:08 AM
For the buck P21S/S100( found locally at most Harley Shops for ~$15) wax would be good for your experiment. There isn`t a great deal gained by going with Souveran ( I have both and have topped many sealants, including Zaino, with both). P21S/S100 retains that Zaino reflectivity with a very slight increase in depth. Souveran has a very slight muting ( more carnauba appearing then sealant) effect on Zaino but still looks great. :wavey

jerry@robs
09-15-2003, 08:01 AM
After several tests on my Corolla... I found something REALLY interesting this week...

I`ve been down the glaze+wax route, sealant only route, sealant + wax topper route...

With my red mica paint, it really looks best with a glaze + wax combo, no doubt, even our regular clients who sees my car often will notice and appreciate the glaze + wax combo better than when I was using Z or K twins...

For the last 3 weeks, I`ve been back to the No.7 + S100 route.... then just the other day, I`ve decided to try something... S100 topped with Zaino...

Before you start saying Zaino will not bond and whatever, I know that already, and again, durability is not a factor for me since I have a shop and I get to wax 2-3x a week so even turtle wax will last in my case...

And so far, 6 people (who are into detailing) have all said the same thing, they have never saw my paint look better, it has the depth of a wax and glaze but is very glossy...

The reason why I tried this route is simple... If I apply the sealant first (SG or Z), I`ve pretty much lost the depth already anyway coz the surface is reflecting light as opposed to absorbing it... So even if I top it off with wax, not much happens (IN MY CASE)...

So I did the opposite, get the depth and wet look from my wax, then after a couple of days, I applied a coat of Z... then another coat 2 days after (I don`t have ZFX)...

After 1 typhoon and 3 days of HARD rain... it`s holding up ok... beads wise..

I`ll post pics soon.

imported_memnuts
09-15-2003, 08:22 AM
Next experiment try enhancing the depth and gloss via prep (polishing). This way you are maximizing the natural features ( color and depth) prior to topping with a protectant. Altering the appearance via changing optics ( refraction of the light) is fun but not truly representative of the vehicle`s finish and is short-lived. The idea of creating depth/gloss from an un-ultimatize prep surface is actually asking too much from a protectant. I find now that the "fun" part of detailing is this chase to create the "perfect" finish prior to protecting. That way when the protectant wears off or deteriorates, hopefully, the well prep surface still remains. Willing and waiting for more protection. Looking fine on its own merit.

imported_BilltheCat
09-15-2003, 03:35 PM
I will try the P21s soon. It is inexpensive and seems no loss if I dont care for it.

All I want really is depth, glossy shine that turns heads, protections from bugs and rain, and the adoration of the masses.

nothing much really! :D